View Single Post
proud2beamerican proud2beamerican's Avatar

JCF Member

proud2beamerican has disabled reputation

Apr 20, 2020, 09:19 PM
Bring back the lights to Jazz2 City!

Howdy!
Here is my idea for a little contest, while we're locked in the quarantine. Not long time ago I have discovered this website. It appears to be an archive of an old website featured in the last level of The Secret Files (Jazz2City - correct me if I'm wrong though). There are so many goodies there, oh my God! It's unbelievable!

Obviously the levels out there are very outdated. They use poor versions of tilesets, rather simple layouts, many times pretty crappy music, etc. So why don't give em a boost? Here are preliminary rules:

1. Use an upgraded version of a tileset.
As an example: lets say you'll pick one of those levels built on a JJ1 conversion tileset. Raneforus that's completely miscolored, has half of the original tiles missing and barely any interesting additional tiles - or something like that. Search for a better conversion of Raneforus and rebuild the level with it. Or built your own tileset that would resemble the original - completely optional.

2. Put that upgraded tileset to use.
Fix any weak areas of the original level, fill out the gaps with additional tiles, make it more interesting, perhaps a bit bigger (although you don't have to go crazy on the size). Make sure that every single crappy-looking tile in the level is replaced with a better looking.

3. It can be any level that sparks your interest. CTF, Battle, Single player, etc. - doesn't matter, as long as it's from J2C.

4. DON'T USE "2 UNLIMITED" MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
(it seems that those tracks were highly overused on J2C)

Deadline: till the quarantine is over
Prize: hugs (but with 6ft. distance) + your own satisfaction!

As a side note:
Here is an example of such a work. I had lots of fun converting them old levels (even though these particular ones are not from J2C). Reactor Rumble wouldn't qualify as there are barely any modifications made to it, however the remaining 2 are closer to what we're looking for in here. The overall concept of a level is kept, but tweaked.

The more I live on this world, the more insanity I see. My pride only doubles down:

PROUD TO BE A REDNECK, I scream.