View Single Post
Jojo

JCF Member

Jojo is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2014, 04:26 PM
Minor errors that are worth correcting:
- MTMs are MultiTracker Modules, not MadTracker. MadTracker was one of the first Windows trackers and is much more powerful than ScreamTracker.

- J2B represents XM more than IT internally. The whole Galaxy Sound System behaves more like FT2 than IT, and I think they only added support for some IT-specific things such as channel volume because, ooops, all the composers working for Unreal engine games were in fact IT users, not FT2 users. Basically, this whole engine is a (bad) XM player with some hacked-on IT features, not the other way around.
J2B also doesn't have any special kind of sample compression - samples are just stored as deltas (like in XM) and the whole file is compressed using zlib. Deltas compress better than normal samples, but delta + zip still compresses worse than IT-compressed samples + zip (yes, you can make IT-compressed files even smaller!).

Also... both of these points are completely outdated:
Quote:
songs composed with OpenMPT will likely sound a bit different if you play them with BASS or the original trackers. Notably can't save ITs with sample compression
OpenMPT and BeroTracker are the only trackers that can save IT-compressed samples outside IT at the moment. It's true that OpenMPT has been deviating from the XM and IT "playing standards" a lot for a long time, but in many cases it's even more precise than Schism and Milky respectively.

Quote:
A PSM to S3M converter, sometimes more accurate than OpenMPT
I doubt this has been true for the last few years, but if you can still find a PSM file that sounds "more correct" when converting it with CMC compared to OpenMPT, let me know and I'll fix it.