View Single Post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Sep 29, 2015, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Also, both versions say "Jazz Jackrabbit 3D public beta test" on the installer(Or setup, I forget which). It is widely known that both of these versions are early, unfinished, buggy alpha builds, so make of this what you will.
I don't have any copies of JJ3D so it may be obvious but I'd like a citation for "both of these versions are early, unfinished, buggy alpha builds". While they tend to be called alpha when referred to, as far as I know everything suggests they were beta versions that might have been indeed being publicly tested ("public" here meaning "by an outside company", namely Epic).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900
Finally, no one knows how Jazz 3D was leaked, or who leaked it. My personal theory is that either it was sent to an Epic employee who then sent it to a friend who sent it to a friend, etc. until it ended up on torrent sites, or that a copy was stolen from Epic's offices.
I find that very unlikely, especially the theory about theft. To be honest, if I were to guess, I'd say World Tree Games published it themselves, whether by mutual agreement or individual decision of one of the members. Having spent 2 years without payment working on the game and finding no publisher, they didn't want their work to go to waste and intended to release what they had for free anyway, and all that seemed to be stopping them was the Unreal Engine usage fee. For them it was either leaking the demo unofficially or dooming their work of 2 years to never see daylight. Sounds like a motive to me.

Oh, and another fun fact, that every once in a while gets brought up but might be new to some: License agreement distributed with the game prior to The Secret Files explicitly forbids both creating and playing custom JJ2 level packs without authorization from Epic. Exact quote: "You are expressly prohibited from creating, using or selling any unauthorized level packs, add-on packs or sequels based upon or related to the SOFTWARE". The same license also refers to the characters as "Jazz Jack Rabbit" and "Spaz Jack Rabbit". The Secret Files license contains neither of those.