View Single Post

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jul 26, 2020, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Over the past days, I've remembered several new version differences that aren't yet on versions.html. They're all missing hidden springs:
[...]

I'll see what happens if I put the 1.3 levels into good-1.2. And I'll update versions.html.
Alright.
Sounds like the solution is to use all the 1.3 levels (with a fixed version of Medivo), but use the good-1.2 engine...
That is, the only change to be made would be to change out the 1.3 EXE and FILEsomething (whatever it's called) for the good-1.2 versions, then swap out the one or two levels that need fixing.

That said, if various other problems continue to persist... Maybe, after all that fuss, the best solution may be to just use 1.3 and implement level-specific fixes for the broken airboard ditches, and Orbitus. It would really suck if this is the best option, but if it is, I'll see what I can do about potentially restoring Orbitus to something close to its original behaviour in the 1.3 engine, if I can.

It would be great if we can just use the 1.3 levels, and implement the one or two needed fixes, but if there's just too much that's weird about good-1.2 to use, I guess we can only pick the best of a bad bunch.

Quote:
We should also consider the legal issues:
  • If we base this project on 1.3 executables and levels, we'll have to mod levels, but never copy anything from other versions. What GOG ships is entirely sufficient as a base; the modifications can be any permissible license or public domain.
  • If we base this on good-1.2 executables, we must mix files from at least two different versions. What legal basis exists for us/GOG/anybody to extract and have GOG ship parts from 1.2? GOG is probably licensed to sell the 1.3 only. But the result will be shipped to thousands of players worldwide.
We won't know until we talk to them, but I'm going to assume that if there are any issues with either of these, there will be issues with BOTH of these.

That is, either they are only allowed to use versions of the game that Epic give their thumbs-up on selling, or they are allowed to use any version they like. Either way, it will affect any kind of change at all. In which case, GOG would have to get approval for either method.

Quote:
Of course, there is the chance that I overthink this, given that Epic likely hasn't played through their own version in 25 years, not even before re-releasing in 2017. :-P
TBH this is the most likely scenario. I don't think Epic really care, as long as they're getting their money from this old-as-hell game, made by a bunch of people who haven't worked there in years.

Quote:
Ideally, we'll get in touch with GOG directly on these issues. I'm happy to do it, but I need a contact first. Merely writing to customer support won't cut it, I tried this for Orbitus 2 in 2018 and got no reply. I'll need a hands-on contact who realizes the importance and subtleties of what we do here. Maybe via VioletCLM?
I think Violet knows basically what our proposals are, and he'll lay them out well enough to someone at GOG, and then that will be passed through to whoever needs to be talked to about this, then whatever fix we end up going with will hopefully be given the OK.

There is always the possibility GOG will elect to enact no fixes at all, but IDK.