Thread: Conquerer
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2001, 08:23 PM
If you say so...

(I got the chapter title from a book I read )

Chapter Ten- Storm Warning

The sun dawned hot and bright on Medivo, flooding in an apartment window to illuminate the small red rabbit who sat in a big overstuffed armchair on the 50th floor of the Floozy Hotel. Her eyes were fixed on the small telescreen mounted in the wall across from her, and she listened intently to the newscast that was just coming on.

"Medivo is still resisting the reign of the powerful Kroyian Empire, refusing to even allow Emperial patrols on the planet. The latest development is the flood of refugees from neighboring planets, which resolved Medivo's anti-Emperial decision. The government will hopefully be letting us in on their plan of further resistance in a few hours, so stay tuned. In Carrotus, the Empire is slowly insinuating influential people in to the planet, blinding the Carrotans to the fact that they can take slaves cruelly..." Alpha turned the telescreen off, having heard what she wanted. Medivo was still keeping the turtles away. That was a relief, for she knew what turtles did to rabbits when they got the chance...

I'll worry about that later, she thought, and got up. So long as I take the shuttle flight outa here when the Empire gets Medivo, I'll be alright... and I might not even have to pay the month's rent... Alpha was always an optimist, and she couldn't give a care about Medivo's fate as long as she was safe.

A ringing bell sounded down on the street, signalling that the shuttle to Medivo, capital of Medivo, was leaving. Darnit! And she had fifty flights of stairs to run down...

"Well, I could always forgo the excersize and take the lift," she said aloud. The lift was not an elevator but rather, a shaft that was in low-gravity. Small, flashy purple discs floated up and down the shaft, and the passenger would merely wait until the disc rotation went down, then step on for the ride. It was quick and cheap, and much in favor in tall hotels like the Floozy, which had sixty floors and seven apartments to each floor.

Alpha grabbed her cloak, sword and blaster and headed for the lift. A few moments later she was gently floating down a pitch black tunnel, lit only by the flashing lights on her disc and the lighted ammo-register on her blaster. Then she was stepping off into the sunlit reception room and out onto the street. All of this took only a minute or so, so that if Alpha listened hard she could still hear the faint echo of the bell. Hurridly she headed for the shuttle terminal, knowing that the shuttle would take off within sixty seconds of the bell. She made it just as the doors were sliding shut, and squeezed between them, mounted the steps and found a seat.

Kovu saw a break in the trees ahead, and left the path. He thought he caught a glimpse of sunlight glancing off of water, but he couldn't be sure...

Ten... nine... eight seconds to entrance of Lohar, the navigational screen blipped, and the Assassin shuddered as it slipped through the upper atmosphere. Then a soft beeeeeep emitted from the screen, and the entire vessel trembled and shook as violently as a leaf does in the face of a hurricane. It seemed to take eternity to stop; then the silence filled the ship unnaturally. Soft browns and greens intermingled with deep blue and fawn, speeding by as they passed...

Didn't get to the storm part yet, but I'm working on it. Stay tuned!