Thread: Conquerer
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Apr 10, 2001, 12:51 PM
Chapter Three-The Enemy

"Uh. . .SIR! Lizard Troop 5 is missing, SIR! The Tuff Turts are rebelling, SIR! The Helmut

Troop is refusing to leave fort, SIR! Help, SIR!" The nervous lizard saluted at the back of

the chair. Devan sat, staring at the trees. "Sir?" "Yeah, yeah, I heardja. Whaddaya

want, anyway? Not like I can change their minds! Only the Boss can do THAT. An' ya

don't want the BOSS to come HERE, do ya?" "Uh, no, SIR! We'll find them, SIR! Don't

worry, SIR!" "Good. I wouldn't wanna tell the Boss that your not doin' your job now,

would I? O'course not. . . DISMISSED!" The lizard fled thankfully, racing out the door to

tell the Tuff Turt League to behave or the Boss would come. Devan grinned. Who cared

about dumb lizards, anyway?

A blinking red light alerted him to the fact that it was time to go, to leave for the

SpaceBase over Medivo, which was now totally under his control. Those rabbits whom

had not escaped were enslaved, worked mercilessly at ship camps, where they built

space ships for the Troops. This place, Carrotus, was rich in able bodies, in the form of

hated rabbits, for the ship camps. Or so the Boss said. So far, Devan had only captured

a few, not the multitudes that he'd been promised. And he would complain.

"Ready the Slaver II. I go to Command Ship Deep Spacer, at sundown. Get to it!" His

minions scattered, working at various jobs. He sighed. Another thing to explain: the

missing troops. How was he going to discuss THAT? And he'd have to, too. "Sir?" The

lizard that poked it's head cautiously around the corner winced and shut its eyes as if

expecting to be yelled at. When no blast of angry curses met him, he opened his eyes

and sighed in relief. "Sir, the ship Slaver II is ready for your pleasure." Devan whirled,

eyes blazing. "Pleasure? PLEASURE? You think I WANT to meet the Boss?" "Uh, no sir,"

trembled the lizard. Devan turned and walked towards the hangar where Slaver II

awaited.

"So, my loyal Servant, how is your campaign going? I know your drive to exterminate all

rabbits, but I do need slaves." Devan glared at his Boss's back. "Sire, I have found few

rabbits to enslave. Why," and his reserve broke, "If you wanted slaves, did you not give

me a place WITH rabbits??? There ARE none!!" The dark caped figure turned. Devan

quailed before his master. The hood shaded his face, and all Devan could see was

narrowed red eyes. "You are a fool. You have met resistance, and now you wish to run

to me with your tail between your legs. No! Did you think that conquering Medivo was all

glory and no fight? Truly the foul inhabitants of Carrotus know what they are against!"

The figure was furious, unleashing his anger on the cowering Devan. "I should make you

work in the foulest ship mine I have, you idiot! But you may be of use to me yet. . ."

Energies were crackling around the angry figure. "Now, you WILL conquer Carrotus. No

matter the cost. If you do not, this will only be a taste of what you will suffer. . ." A

streak of lightning shot from the dark wizard's hands to Devan, bathing him in a red light.

Devan writhed and gasped, and suddenly the pain was gone. "Go to you troops, fool. . ."

The dark figure faded away, and Devan was alone. He stumbled to Slaver II and shot for

Carrotus.

The dark hooded wizard watched Devan go from the Command Center of Deep Spacer.

He turned and pulled back the hood, to reveal a face of cruelty. He had a beak-like

nose, and haughty, glaring, pupilless eyes. He looked like a vulture, or a buzzard. "Milord,

the new ship Conquerer is at your disposal." The wizard turned. "Very good, Commander.

Set a rendezvous point of Holodayous. I should like to examine the new ship." Mentally

he calculated how many Star Destroyers he had. The Deep Spacer The Terror, The

Fear-Striker, The Cruelty, and now The Conquerer. He would soon rule over the Galaxy!

". . .and then, Devan's turtle troops attacked. I barely got away, and I'm sure that not

many others did. I heard rumours, see, of these prison camps, and I had no desire to

experience that myself. The tales were bad enough," Shinyso said. He shuddered. "I

don't know, but it seemed like someone else was commanding. Devan was never THAT

organized." Ducky nodded. "It sounds like it, doesn't it," she commented. "I think we

should check it out. Does anyone have a spaceship?" "I do," Coppertop said. "It's called

the Avenger when I've got a job lined up, and the Assassin when I'm on my own." "Job?"

Grath asked blankly. "I'm a mercenary and professional assassin," she explained. "Right

now it's the Assassin." "Oh," said Kazooie. "Cool." "Well," said Ducky, "What are we

waitin' for?" She got up and gestured for Coppertop to lead on. She walked to the cliff

face, and rapped on the seemingly solid rock. A slab silently slid open, and the Assassin

was revealed in all it's splendor. It was painted black, with the name in blazing white. Its

door stood open, and she leapt in. "Who's flown before? I need a copilot." Shinyso

stepped forward. "I have," he offered. She smiled. "Good. Let's go."