Thread: JCS Awards 2020
View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 18, 2021, 11:08 AM
Congratulations to all the winners! There was a lot of great stuff out there this year, with PJ producing piece after piece of parallax artwork in level form, cooba pushing the envelope in gameplay innovation, lots of really exciting and thoughtful work from newer level designers, and everything else in-between. Maybe in 2021 we'll see more people take up pixel art and a return to original tilesets... even almost all the levels this year were made using (various new palettes of) various JJ1 and JJ2 sets. I'm also interested to see if the success of the single screen contest inspires people to make more multiplayer levels that are smaller and thus force more constant combat among players.

It's weird seeing Operation: Clone Killer 3 on the best scripted list because I think of it as primarily a JJ2 level with some details here and there for polish, but then I look again and its script file is 73kb. And that scripted nature makes me always unsure whether the people who had trouble navigating the thorn area without an airboard just failed a spot check, or whether something genuinely failed to spawn for them. But all in all it was a very satisfying level to put together, with lots of different gameplay sections... I'm glad it brings people pleasure, and I hope AaRoN gets an inexplicable feeling of warmth wherever he is. I'm also thrilled I put two exclamation marks into Mighty Switch Test! 2!'s name, because it looks so funny whenever people mention it in this thread. It's probably the closest I've come to making something that is, like, A Video Game, despite its still relying on familiar JJ2 rabbit physics, so I'm glad it got a good reception. People should post their star collections more.