Thread: JJ1 remastered
View Single Post
shino1

JCF Member

shino1 has disabled reputation

Jun 16, 2022, 06:52 AM
JJ1 remastered

Hi, I'm new here. I'm Shino (actual name Ada), I'm a game designer and an artist.
I grew up playing JJ2, and recently as an adult I got into retro games, and decided to give JJ1 a whirl. It's definitely a lot of fun, but I have to admit, I'm bothered by how close the camera is, especially compared to how fast Jazz moves, and compared to how camera is so much better in 2.

So I've been thinking - I've had an itch to make a fast-paced Sonic-style platformer for a while, and also to make some kind of a retro remake. The primary goal of such a thing (I'd make it in Godot) would be to allow player to choose any resolution or aspect ratio they want, and other minor improvements, like ability to add multiple playable characters (with Spaz and Lori having new sprites redrawn for JJ1 artstyle), and an easy-to-use graphical level editor so people would make more JJ1 levels (well, JJ1 style - I doubt the new levels would be compatible with the vanilla game).

Obviously to avoid bootlegging, this would work on a 'source port' like basis in that player would need to provide their own JJ1 data they bought on GOG, the game would be bundled with just the shareware data.

Obviously it wouldn't be a real source port or a decompiled reverse-engineer, since I have no idea how to do that - just a Godot game that would try to capture the feel and controls of the original as closely as possible.

Is this something anyone here would be interested in? Especially help from people with some understanding of JJ1 internals and hacking it would be cool, but optional.