View Single Post

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
Best Battle - The Impossible Fortress
It's a close call between many of the levels here. 2011 certainly was a great year for Battle levels, and it's tough to make a solid decision as there were so many top quality efforts this year. I have decided to vote for cooba's Impossible Fortress because although the level takes a lot of getting used to, it's more innovative than the other nominations and ranks at the top in terms of fun factor as well. I was tempted to vote for Moonlit Harbor though, as it was probably the best Battle level in terms of overall gameplay, but it felt rather generic.

Best CTF - Frontier Falls
Once again, a tough category, although I think that Frontier Falls is a clear winner to me. It doesn't try anything radically new, but it is simply a wonder to play. If I could only play one new level this year, I would play this one.

Best Other Multiplayer Release - Power Plant
I enjoyed playing this level in Snooze's server. The concept is pretty evil but also adds an interesting dynamic to the standard GF gameplay.

Best Pack - OLC Battle Pack 2
A no-brainer. 7 high quality levels, what more could you ask for?

Best Single Player - Cave 2
Resurrection of Evil was a close runner up, but I have decided to vote for Cave 2 on the grounds that it feels a lot fresher; as decent as RoE is, you can't help but notice the rather profound Devres influences.

Best Tileset - Rage of Aquarius
I simply adore how the Castle and Haunted House tiles were merged together seemlessly, and despite all its weirdnesses, this is a truly excellent conversion that feels more like an original tileset.

Best JCSer - Obsessive Level Creators (no vote)
This is probably the hardest category for me to vote in. There's no doubt that OLC has been the dominant force in the JCS this year, consistently producing quality levels. I simply cannot decide between CelL/cooba/Ragnarok. All three have had a very strong year, each with their own personal highlights. I've decided not to vote in this category, but I will state that OLC in general has been the main source of the year's finest levels.