View Single Post

JCF Member

FarkasUrdung is doing well so far

Jul 31, 2014, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I spotted 3 subtle tilebugs in your picture so far (outside of the obviously unfinished bottom of the screen).
Do you mean these 3?

As I said, I just begun this map. I usually spend hours with making each tile fit together perfectly. I often place a tile, then replace it, then undo the change, then do something else, then try a different pattern until I feel like it's acceptable. What caused making this nothing nearly half an hour was that I tried to fit those 1/8-tile bottoms. So I am bound to notice these errors myself anyway.

Quote:
Castle is a perfect example, with useful layer 4 tiles being placed on top and bottom of the tileset, split with background layers, foreground curtains, and those nearly useless slide tiles. Another offense they're guilty of is that you need to try really hard to make the most basic things tile correctly.
I believe the reason for that is they already made a level with the tileset, then decided not to use the slide after all, but kept in just in case, then came up with the tiles on the bottom.

Still, it's a puzzle in itself just to find the pieces you can use. They did this with the carrotus tile set as well. The 1-tile-large bottom in the darkened area is nearly at the end of the tile set with tiles that differ from the basic wall tiles by a few pixels (they have vine coming out of them and whatnot).

Quote:
The general rule is: place a full energy carrot before the challenge because you can't possibly know how much health the player got there with. Optionally add a checkpoint. You may also want to give the player a subtle hint that this is indeed the correct path to follow
Of course, that is self-explanatory. I'd never think about not having any of that considering I intend to utilize both the normal and hard difficulties.