View Single Post
Metsys

JCF Member

Metsys is doing well so far

Sep 7, 2014, 10:54 AM
Follow Freedom Planet's example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hare View Post
I would love to see an attempt at creating a (good) Jazz Jackrabbit clone that doesn't infringe on Epic's IP. Kind of like the Sonic fandom did with Freedom Planet.
I joined pretty much to say exactly that. I bought Freedom Planet recently and despite the bumpy difficulty curve it plays and emotionally feels like a Sonic game. They nailed everything: the character design, the use of color, the music, everything. It's feels like it came right out of the Sonic universe, and the talent to execute on that was all within the Sonic community.

I'm sure the Sonic community begged Sega to remake the original Sonic games after they repeatedly screwed the franchise and failed to deliver on what the fans would have enjoyed playing. The Jazz Jackrabbit community is in a similar same boat, except instead of getting crap they are getting bupkis.

I'm confident that people with the means (i.e. talent and time) would have already considered it an option to make a fan work inspired by the Jazz universe but devoid of the copyrighted source material so it can be sold. It's a viable option to get more of what people liked about the Jazz Jackrabbit games without having to wait or beg for Epic to do it.

I'm glad that we now have Freedom Planet to point to as a success story for that very thing.