View Single Post

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Sep 2, 2015, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
It's hard to know what events are placed because the level is zoomed out so much. Taking screenshots in-game would remedy that (try F12 but make sure you have plus. You can make JCS open plus by default by renaming Jazz2.exe to something like jazz2-.exe and jazz2+.exe to jazz2.exe.).

Anyway, it's very corridory and horizontal. And it looks like the 1 tile passages above the middle would be campy. Whatever is in those cramped looking deadends that are above the tight bottom passage, looks potentially campy as well. Same with those 1 tile passages that lead to the top.

Making an interesting layout is mixing horizontal and vertical spaces and utlising different ways to reach areas (I don't mean as many alternate paths as possible, I simply mean not relying on one method of platforming to reach up areas). Varying the size of spaces allows for more varied gameplay too, and have no need to be parallel, (excessive parallel passages results in a corridory layout which is bland if you ask me). And be sparse on cramped areas, because people will camp in them, and/or it'll get annoying having to get hit by everything. Though 1 tile vertical passages are fine, providing the area above isn't hard to counter.

I'm also not a fan of entirely closing up the top area unless it's inside something man made or a cave.

Though to be honest, I don't recommend making MP levels if you haven't played the gamemode much, if not at all. When you play online (the main MP gamemodes such as battle and CTF) for a good while, you get a much better idea of what works well and what doesn't.
Sorry for the bad screenshot, I will take some more accurate ones tomorrow, it's a little late here.

I tried to make it more vertical, it was in the original plan. I was trying to remake TF2's 2fort map in 2D but during the progress I kind of forgot what it was supposed to look like in my mind. Didn't really turn out like that map at all. Where the 1 tile passages are, there are the flags. I know, it is a terrible position for a flag but gave up before finding a better one. I will try to make passages wider the next time, I guess.

I really do apreciate this tip. I am a little bad when it comes to level design (I'm a little bad when it comes to everything actually) but I'd really like to improve. I will keep that in mind, thanks

I guess when I will get to finish the map (maybe) I will open up the top area.
*rabbit made

I guess that's my biggest downside. I don't play MP much because I'm just bad at it and I don't find it very entertaining either (I do like the relaxers and streetfighters though). I will try to get myself playing more though, maybe it will seem easier and funner when I get the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
The ability to make full-level screenshots would actually be quite nice. Though there's a few technical limitations that make it impossible at this point, unfortunately.
That would be pretty helpful. J2O Downloads kind of does that already but it's way smaller. On the bright side, it's possible and hopefully will be done someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I imagine I could write a mutator.
That's sweet. I hope you will write it someday, it would be a very useful thing.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz