View Single Post

JCF Member

Erik is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2005, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
Just a little advice: if you want to convert MP3's into modules, forget it.

Modules are closely related to midi's: they're both nothing more than sheets of music, which tells the computer which note to play with which instrument, the only difference Midi's have with modules is that modules have the instruments "built in" the file, while midi's must rely on wavetables that come with certain soundcards.

Wav's and MP3's are completely different: they're both recordings of the sound the music makes; they don't rely on instruments or anything like that, but on the general proporties of sound waves: frequency, wavelength and amplitude. That's why wav's and MP3's are so frickin' large: sound waves are very complex to computer standards.

Converting modules to MP3's is easy to do, but the other way around is very difficult and usually not worth the time spent on it: you'd have to find the instruments that make the sounds heard in the song, and have them play the right notes; you'd actually be recreating the music! You can imagine that's very tedious.

Take my advice: if you know how to write music, download a tracker program and stick with it. The most famous one is ModPlug Tracker, but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

On a side note, JJ2 accepts most module formats, the common ones being .mod, .xm, .it .s3m. Just make sure to keep the filesize under 1 Mb to save game memory.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3
In short, formats s3m, xm, it, and mod are modules, and mp3, ogg, wav, etc. are streamed formats. And jj2 doesn't support streamed formats.

"The most famous one is ModPlug Tracker, but it takes a while to get the hang of it." I doubt that. FastTracker 2 is the most widely used. ModPlug Tracker makes the suckiest files, which are different than the original file format allows. But FastTracker 2 is for DOS. So i'm using ModPlug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPiZZa
People who use Winamp's built-in MikMOD engine to play MODs should be banned from listening to MODs permanently.
Duh, that's why we use the in_bass.dll! (That's the same player as in XMPlay)