View Single Post
RSGDB

JCF Member

RSGDB has disabled reputation

Oct 8, 2022, 08:21 AM
I was logged out and missed all these replies. I'll try adding my two cents as I decided to try out 0.98k after seeing it mentioned here. While I initially leaned towards giving the player extra lives the same way that version did, including the brief animation, (partially because that was the devs' original plan) I eventually decided in favor of the end tally method.

It should be noted that the 098k method is (unsurprisingly) buggy: if you activate a save point with a total of 100 or more gems and then die, the first gem you collect after respawn will ALWAYS give you an extra life regardless of the amount in your inventory. Just something to watch out for if the decision is made to use 0.98k as a basis.
[Speaking of checkpoints, I'm not sure if the problem brought up earlier is that big of a deal as outside of very specific situations (which only really occur in custom levels anyway) you can't really "grind" for extra lives, instead you get a situation where you temporarily can't get a Game Over. Some games even invoke this intentionally by placing a 1up near a checkpoint.]

As for other issues, I agree that secret levels should added to those of the original level and think that leftovers, should be carried into the next level, seeing as some levels have less than 70 gems let alone 100.