View Single Post

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
Elevators appear to work just the same.

The Rain event has one 5-bit parameter that specifies how much energy each drop of rain takes from you.

I thought the Dripping Water event could have the same parameter, so I tried it out to see if I could get it to hurt you. Turns out it has an 8-bit parameter to specify the delay between drops. I tried the same with Leaking Energy, but this event works completely random, it seems.

In search for unused events, I tried to place some unknown events (in fact I tested all events up to #173, after which I got tired of it) in a level to try them out. While some events crash the game, most of them simply do nothing. Though I did find something!

Event 37 appears to clone the Water Pump event (41). I don't know anything about BC's (or Jazz2's for that matter) inner workings, but my totally random guess is that this happens because, by coincidence, event 37 points to the same memory location as event 41.

Event 68 spawns an energy ball as seen in the end boss level. I think the end boss is simply generating this event above his head. Just like with the End Boss and the Button of Death, BC writes a line 'BOSS found at ..' in the Battery.log file. It only shoots once, so it's pretty much useless in levels, but this discovery gives hope that there is a very slim chance that we could replicate JJ2's Generator event in BC.

Event 69 appears to be just a regular Battery pickup at first sight. But you can't pick it up. Can be used in levels to mislead players, or just for eyecandy.

I hope some reverse engineer could, at the very least, have a look at event 37. I really wonder if it's got anything to do with event 41. And of course it would be great if someone could search for unused events 'from the inside out', if this is possible. By simply putting the unknown events in a level I'm going to miss any events that don't cause a visible change.

Code:
  1=One Way               |One   |Way
 17=End of level          |Level |End
 29=Start position        |Level |Start
 33=Battery holder*       |Batt  |Holder|Global ID:     6|Direction:     1
 35=Liferaft*             |Life  |Raft  |Water ID:      6
 38=Elevator              |Ele-  |vator |Global ID:     6|Tracks:        3|Direction:     1|Speed:   4|+Tracks (x8):3
 40=Platform              |Plat- |form  |Global ID:     6|Tracks:        3|Direction:     1|Speed:   4|+Tracks (x8):3
 41=Water pump*           |Water |Pump  |Global ID:     6|Full water ID: 6|Empty water ID:6
 42=Recharger             |Re-   |charge|Direction:     1
 46=Water*                |Water |      |Water ID:      6|Width (tiles): 5|Height (tiles):5|Filled:  1|Mode:        1
 50=Dripping Water        |Drip  |Water |Delay:         8
 51=Small enemy           |Small |Enemy |Hanging:       1
 52=Large enemy           |Large |Enemy |Hanging:       1
 53=Freddy the dragon     |Fred- |dy
 54=Rain                  |Rain  |      |Damage:        5
 55=Monitor               |Moni- |tor   |Hanging:       1|Direction:     1
 56=End boss              |End   |Boss
 58=Umbrella              |Umbr  |ella  |Global ID:     6|Tracks:        3|Direction:     1|Speed:   4|+Tracks (x8):3
 60=Extra life            |Extra |Life
 61=Upgrade Battery holder*|Upgr. |Holder|Global ID:     6
 62=Battery               |Bat-  |tery
 63=Super battery         |Super |Batt
 65=Set water colour      |Water |Colour|Surface colour:8|Deep colour:   8
 66=Button of Death       |Death |Button
 70=Leaking energy        |NRG   |Leak

39=Elevator stopper      |Stop  |Elev  |Global ID:     6|2:             1
 43=Door*                 |Door  |      |Global ID:     6|Start low:     1|3:             1|Stop low:1|Speed:       3|Stomps:6
 44=Stomper               |Stom- |per   |Global ID:     6|2:             3|3:             3|4:       3|5:           4
 47=Belt*                 |Belt  |      |Global ID:     6|2:             2|3:             4|4:       4|5:           4
 48=Transporter           |Trans-|porter|Global ID:     6|Height (tiles):4|3:             4|4:       4|x:2

37=(Alt water pump)      |W.Pump|Ev. 37|Global ID:     6|Full water ID: 6|Empty water ID:6
 68=(Boss shot)           |B.Shot|Ev. 68
 69=(Fake battery)        |F.Batt|Ev. 69