Thread: Check this out
View Single Post

JCF Member

[GpW]Urbs is an asset to this forum

Jan 21, 2011, 07:23 AM
Yup, although this particular link is from 2000 I think.

Still the clans from 1998-2000, as far as the list goes anyway, were pretty much the same (ok knowing that during that period I started one clan myself - Commando(Urbs) clan-, you can imagine there was a hell of a lot of clans back then. longest tag evah ftw)
In 1999 gpw had 55 or 59 members. I know cuz thats when I joined. It was also the time when we started cleaning up the books, so to speak, and the inactive members were taken off the list. It's hard to imagine this from today's perspective, but a 2d platform game was never expected to last as long as it did. JJ2 has always been, in the views of the community, in a state where everybody believed that a particular year would be the last year of JJ2. So a lot of clans and a lot of people left jj2. Especially due to the serverlists going down.
After the initial phase there was a period in jj2 history where there weren't all that many clans around. The old ones died, whereas only a few strong ones remained. DL, EM, GpW. And even then gpw's members, including myself, had started to play other games more than jj2.
After that period there was a certain power vacuum in which FoR and TF were formed. By the time the 1st jj2wc was staged, GpW was holding for dear life, we had 3 members basically and that was it. DM was pretty inactive, but they managed to acquire the services of AvK and Firesword, so that kept em going for the next few years. TF and FoR were also starting to become less active by then. TF got Thunder to play for them and FoR was sort of like gpw - a 3 man team.
The situation didn't change much until jj2wc2, when CC and VS exploded and became the new powerhouses of jj2. Individual skill was still in favour of DM, and with Skull maybe even FoR. Hell blacky and rep and rag and GP were all very great individdual players as well back then.
Slowly but surely not only new teams, but new individuals took over the scene from 2005 on. King Vegito, Viv aka SJ, Rep still held his own, Yasco, SQ etc. And 8d was born, so the stage was set for another cold war between 8d and CC, one clan based more on the ideas of their arch rivals, the Guru's, the other's recruitment policy being more like that of DM in its prime. And both of them securing one victory against each other.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide