View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

Oct 18, 2020, 10:25 AM
Download Orbitus 2 fix 2020-10-18 -- to be played in 1.3, e.g., the current GOG release. This is based on the 1.3 Orbitus and feels very similar in difficulty to the 1.0 and good-1.2 vanilla Orbitus.

It's still possible to get sucked upwards unless you actively aim for the next hole. Holding right diligently is enough, as it was in 1.0 and good-1.2.

If you happen to ascend in a particularly unfortunate alignment during the final column, holding right won't cut it and you'll get sucked upwards. This happens maybe 5 % of the time. If we want to kill even this small chance, I'll have to lower the ceiling of the rightmost hole in the wall; tell me how you feel.

To compare, here's the old version, from vanilla 1.3:

^ Level layout in vanilla 1.3. Now the fix 2020-10-18:

^ Level layout in Orbitus 2 fix 2020-10-18.

I've raised/lowered the bouncy floors and wall columns by one or two tiles. I've added a glowing arrow in the background to fill the extra empty space in the second column.

Number of pickups and enemies is the same. In the final drop, the pickups are lower than before, but their number and pattern stays the same.

^ All sounds play according to my testing, and it's still 100-%-able.

^ I've added these blocks far out of bounds, they're unreachable, not even the camera will scroll here. I'm mainly concerned about versioning, I'd also be fine with removing the upper two lines of text.

This is only Orbitus 2 for now. I'll write another post with the to-do list and to address the good-1.2 vs. 1.3 concerns.

-- Simon