View Single Post
PC-King

JCF Member

PC-King has disabled reputation

Aug 3, 2018, 05:19 AM
Here's the translation of the article for everyone!!!
I've translated it with Google so it's possible some sentences don't make sense. I did my best. ^^;

-------------------------------------------
ARJAN BRUSSEE THE MAN OF THE FUTURE
This month, the first levels of the PC game JazzJackRabbit appear as shareware on the international bulletin boards and are bundled on disks in magazines such as the American PC Format. Shortly after, the platform game will be released in the official version worldwide. It does not look very special, after all, there are dozens of games every month at this time. Only in this case is a Dutchman, barely a teenager in the teens, responsible for the media blitz to come.

BINARY WONDER CHILD
Arjan Brusee is a 21-year-old business administration student at the University of Rotterdam. However, he can not be found very often in college because he has better things to do. For example, programming computer games for the American game manufacturer Epic Me gaGames. Since Arjan started his first step in the binary universe with the Com- pore 64 and the TRS 80, his keyboard is figurally speaking no longer out of the reach than a day

In the past, it was even locked up at school to be able to work there all night on the then ultramodern XT. With the help of books and a great deal of patience and perseverance, he learned how the device worked and thus developed sophisticated instinct for programming.

GROUND BREAKING TECHNOLOGY
At the end of the 1980s he met the collective of UltraForce, a group of digital pioneers average age plus minus 17 years, who's graphical boundaries jogged with the demo movies that they made.

One of Arjan's demos where, among other things, Tintin's rocket that in real-time turned all sides, became highly acclaimed under the global subcircuit of computer freaks because it ended up on InterNet via bulletin boards, where it is like a chain letter all over the world. world. Arjan had at one time enjoyed the required cyber credit with his universal kind, his 'handle' (term for username) had been created. "I'm a CyberFreak: My modem did not work the other day, I felt isolated." Every day he visits the Coders Conference at InterNet where other programmers via his modem could exchange tips and finds. "Like?", I ask.

"Like how to do the fastest graphics on a PC. Speed, that's what it's all about. But also, and that is interesting for readers, that the sound card Gravis Ultra Sound has the ultimate configuration and that we all hate Windows. The Conference is a source of knowledge where you can find out how other people do it." It?

CHIP-SHEET
Two years ago, the gaming property giant EpicMega-Games knocked on its virtual door in cyberspace. Whether he wanted to make available the necessary dollars for his arts? I have started to write a separate development environment for Epic, which makes it possible to make a flat form game for the PC. "Huh, a developmental volumetric?" I interrupt. Ar jan continues uninterrupted: "That is how the data is structured into the computer." "Wouw", I mutter for lack of text. "It are the tools to write the game.", explains Arjan, "a word processor to make a game. Last year June I started programming JazzJackRabbit. This game is one big trick, in fact I take the chips out of the blue. They do things of which they themselves did not even know they could do it "laughs Arjan." You do not just make a game: there is a creative designer who writes the script,

there are drafters, musicians and about 30 play-testers. I started making the weighty back- grounds, then put the main character in it, then letting the environment interact with him, etc. There's more and more coming in. It's a lot of routines that ultimately make up the game.

MY FIRST SONIC
Arjan has just returned from America where he has had the last bugs (mistakes) from the beta version of his game. On the SuperVGA screen of his 486-66 MHz, a cone in a 3D landscape like the Son CD landscape can be rudely tugged with his foot. It is his creation JazzJackRabbit in the bonus round of the game. I am allowed to take a legion of turtles to finally save a princess. On one of the levels, JazzJack get's jojo'd through a tube system, I find the floating opponents, who follow the rabbit and attack him in the back, funny.

Only because I am in the God mode, I know how to get ahead in this spicy platform game. Smiling, Arjan looks over my shoulder, the man, in his own words, says he could finsh Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 both in one day. Sonic is still his favorite game ("Get real, Mario doesn't look good at all") and calls his game "my personal Sonic 1". Jazz JackRabbit is in fact very similar to the Sega cracker but with one big difference, that it is a game for the PC.

3D DREAMS

"Maybe we are going to make a conversion of the game to the 64-bit Jaguar." I ask him what he thinks of the current game system, to start CD-i "Ah." Silence. "How do you mean?" I ask and he starts off:

"the processor is shit, there are too little graphic processors and the chips are out of date." About 3DO. "I hope the device makes it, but it is not worth the price at the moment." CD32? "I prefer an Amiga with CD-Rom. l am also allergic to devices without a keyboard; I'm typing faster than I write. "CD-ROM?" For every fec you can store a lot of information, so all kinds of limits are lost, but so far the speed is disappointing. "And the Sega 32- bits of Saturn? "My next project is probably going to be a game for this system.

Together with a group of Finns and Danes for a company in Boston. De Virtua Racing cabinet that now stands in the arcade is a good example of the possibilities of the Saturn. But it the programmers anyway who have to use the capacity of whichever machine they use use. The dream game I would like to create, has the graphics of a spacegame like X-Wing, a Comanche-like landscape and Doom buildings. All in 3D.

THE MAN OF THE FUTURE

The most important as programmer is that you have an idea of ​​what gameplay is. You have to play in the game and do not have to be frustrating. Good games like Zelda and Dune 2 already have the Virtual Reality effect, you can fully empathize with an environment where you are not physically present.

The phenomenon Virtual Reality I think is really amazing and scary at the same time. I think we have to be carefull not to turn 10% of the children into serial killers after a game of Doom VR. I expect that the first VR products will be ready for consumers in ten years' time. Images like in Jurassic Park. What I will be doing by then? Accourding to Ken Williams, the director of Sierra, most programmers are at their best on their 19th. I already notice that young boys are catching up on all sides. In ten years' time, I want to have my own company where those guests work for me." Before I left I wanted to make another appointment with Arjan: he takes out his Psion Organizer, an electronic agenda. Of course he has such a thing, I think to myself, how could a man of the future be without one?
-------------------------------------------