Thread: JCS+??
View Single Post

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 30, 2017, 11:17 AM
JCS+??

Not sure if it should go in the JJ2+ threads, so I'll leave it there. I think that instead of working on external, third-party level editors like many people did, e.g. with WebJCS and others, why the programmers behind these projects can't take a clue from JJ2+ and just make a JCS mod in similar way to what JJ2+ does with JJ2? Most code would stay the same (no need to rewrite stuff like level loading/saving routines, for example), but areas where JCS is weak could be improved. Perhaps it could even be done as part of JJ2+.

I'd make following changes to the JCS, for example:
- Easier way to make animated tiles, such as a window that opens after you double click an animated tile where you can add, remove and rearrange frames.
- Fixing help system so it properly opens the help file
- Built-in AngelScript editor (syntax highlight and code completion are optional, but recommended) for JJ2+

If JCS+ would be done as part of JJ2+ this would make it possible to stop with weird JCS hacks for features not supported by it, like Text|AngelScript 1 thing. Instead, proper new events could be created. Perhaps it could also allow for editing function by opening aforementioned code editor and jumping to the line the function is on directly from the select event window.

Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge on either reverse engineering or the JCS' data structures, so I can't do this, but I know there are people here who have necessary skills.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.