View Single Post

JCF Member

DeathKiller is doing well so far

Jun 30, 2017, 01:27 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Okay...I'll be honest. I'll give a plus for some effort, though there are quite a few issues..

For a start, the camera needs work. It should lead the player ahead, not follow them. It's kinda nauseous to watch.
Smooth camera is experiment and can be adjusted (or even turned off). Smoothing is completely turned off for vertical MP levels, because player easily gets off screen.

Quote:
Secondly, I noticed quite a lot of features missing not mentioned, that were actually good, for example, ambient lighting on shot projectiles - they give extra clarity, especially in light areas of levels. And there's lots of missing sounds/animations. Also, is running implemented? It's not featured in the video at all. That's the bread and butter of JJ2, despite some newbies overlooking it.
Yes, running is implemented. I don't think there are lots of missing animations, I know that idle animations, ledge and airboard are missing (and End Of Level animation is not implemented properly right now). Lighting system doesn't support "oversaturation" (values over 1.0), so it must be rewritten first. It's using HW 3D rendering, so some features are complicated to implement.

Quote:
Thirdly, I'm also not a fan of how Spazzes and Jazzes shooting sound effects have been changed at all. This wouldn't be bothersome if they were new sounds altogether, but when you swap clearly established sounds that were within the original game, it's very misleading and sounds buggy.
Sound effects could be different, I assigned them as I found them in game files and didn't compare them with original game. I will fix it. They can be changed without source code change, this mapping is saved in external file.

Quote:
As much as it's great to still see people passionate about the series, I've seen many JJ2 remakes that never get finished, that I have little hope and higher standards. And the fact that JJ2+ offers so much more - even if one remake was done, it would be unlikely that many, if any would move over. Except for those allergic to piracy and second-hand copies, and tileset makers who can't stand working with an 8-bit pallette. I've been repressing that thought a lot to not piss people off, though I didn't want to hold it in anymore. I would prefer to see more players and JCSers in the current game, or a truly new fangame altogether. Perhaps even more working in the plus team.

However, if this is simply for the sake of practice/doing a hobby - don't mind the above paragraph.
It's hard to overcome the original game, because everybody is used to play it. This game will never be the same, it would be similar. It's a hobby, because original data files are still copyrighted and it's hard to distribute or do something more with it. That's why I didn't post download link for playable game yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Nice work - looks like you've gotten pretty far already. It makes me wonder what makes JJ2 so compelling to remake, as this is maybe the 5th reproduction that's been announced here so far... though I suppose it's a fun game to remake as a hobby project and relatively easy to get to a somewhat decent level of reimplementation. Linux and Android support is a particularly nice feature.
I didn't want to show another incomplete remake/fangame, but the game is playable right now, so I thought that I could show it here. It's mainly because the original game looks very good (altough it's 19 years old) and data files format is well documented here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Looks good so far. My only real complaint is that I personally am not a fan of the scaler used, but otherwise, looks great!

I look forward to future updates on this.
Thanks. I know that some people don't like these scaling algorithms (although I like them), so it can be turned off in settings.