View Single Post
Jojo

JCF Member

Jojo is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2010, 10:26 AM
JJ2 Music Restart points (Thread for coders)

Hi there,
first for those who don't know me, I happened to play JJ2 years ago (and still play it occasionaly) and since then, I was captivated by its great music. I also happen to be a developer of OpenMPT (ModPlug).
I have listened to many game rips and pre-releases of JJ2 music, but they're all not satisfying. That's one reason why I started coding my own J2B loader for OpenMPT. A few months have passed since I finished it, and it's pretty good, all tracks sound correct in it. However, one thing that's still missing (also in the foo_dumb implementation, if anyone was going to point that out) are the loop (restart) points: f.e. order.j2b does not restart from the beginning, but from order 4 or something like that. But the last pattern does not have a pattern jump command.
So, I have not actively followed the latest JJ2 hacks or whatever you're doing with this nice game, but I heard that the audio system has been exchanged or something, and I wonder if anyone has got their hands on the original code (apparently not) or disassembly to find out where those loop points are stored? The J2B format does not seem to have such a header field, so I guess the loop points are hardcoded into the executable.
Does anybody have any information on this?

Oh, and feel free to move this post if it doesn't fit - I hesitated to post it in the coder forum as it's not really jj2 related.

Greets,
-Jojo

Last edited by Jojo; Mar 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Addition