View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 18, 2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
I'd suggest replacing the newer gem collection system (20 green, 10 blue, 1 ring) with the older purple gem one. Enemies and crates sometimes drop red, green or blue gems when shot, which messes up the gem count, but purple gems are an exception. The old system was fine, so I don't see a reason for having different types of gems. You could simply replace each green gem with one purple gem, each blue one with two and the gem ring with three, or something like that.
Thanks for reminding me of this. This is yet another thing jj2+ allows me to improve.

The reason why I did this in the first place is because in older versions of jj2, having more than 100 gems made the gem counter stop displaying. In ep1 and ep2 I didn't use many gem pickups, which let me use 20 purple gems and have the counter at the bottom of the screen work properly.

Starting with ep3 I started using more gems... and this made it impossible for purple ones to display properly. So, I switched to a system that would at least display (imperfectly) in the end of level screen (note that purple gems aren't counted at the end, hence the problem).

The good news is that jj2+ fixed the gem display bug, which was the reason why I stopped using purples. This means that I can actually add purple gems and have them work properly.

I have a few options, but here is the one I like the most:

Go through every level and replace 5 blue, 10 green, and add 5 purple. Thus, the gem collection would be (any number)x red, 20x purple, 10x green, 5x blue, 1x ring. I think this is fair, since the old episodes also had 20x purple. What do you think?

(There's also a more radical option where I can make ep1 and ep2 use this system as well, which would make all the episodes stylistically unified. But I don't think that's too important)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
edit: this is too minor for a new post, but I loved that frog jump
It's definitely staying as it is on hard mode. The magic of triggers saves the day yet again.