View Single Post

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Mar 8, 2014, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
1. Making the countdown customizable is in the same "shit compromise" tier as /maxspecresolution or whatever was suggested before 4.2 came out with free mouse spectating. JJ2+ has enough shit compromises as it stands.
What is the point you're trying to make with "compromises"? I thought JJ2+ as a patch is meant to suit the community which is using it, and so any ideas submitted by it should be considered and treated objectively. There are no "compromises" to make; if the patch is intended for us to use, then good ideas we suggest and require should be implemented, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba
2. The few above posters don't even care for customizability as they care for the time to equal 3. In which case, it is a pointless request since nobody would ever set it to 1 or 15 or something, if it were customizable.
How do you know that? While I'm sure three seconds would be the optimal countdown time (the laddering community seems to think so, at least), how can you be so sure people wouldn't be experimenting with other cooldown times? It's like saying /maxscore should only have preset settings of 10, 15 and 20, because "nobody would ever set it to anything else".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba
3. Then you may ask, why not just set it to 3, period? SE (currently the main coder) has a good reason:
Quote:
People who want 3 seconds do so because they want to be able to dedicate themselves to another task more quickly. Which is bullshit. There's no task that you can wait 3 seconds for (+ time it takes to type the command) but can't wait 5 seconds. If you encounter a real emergency during a ladder match, as long as you're not an addict, you won't even type a command.
Like I said, you cannot be sure three seconds would be the only used setting. Again, you're assuming stuff: "real emergencies", "addicts", blah blah blah. Waiting ten seconds for a game to pause and resume is bullshit, not what you mentioned above.