View Single Post
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jan 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjwren329
And if Jazz can have semi-immortality, why can't I?
You're taking the wrong bit of Video Game logic to apply to a story.

I'm sure we've all played video games and noticed that with the exception of getting a gameover, characters can just spring back whenever they want to. However, if you notice, Pick-your-own adventure books* based on video games allow for only one life for the character. If your character does die, they tell you to restart the storyline from the very beginning. I'm sure there's some metaphor I could use, but I really don't want to think of one right now.

Anyways the point is various concepts of video games such as being able to constantly cheat death tend not to appear in written adoptions for the following:
1 Typically, the character's actions and personality are not defined by being able to use invincibility powerups and being able to infinitively revive himself
2 It does not make for a compelling story

So while Jazz is slightly invincible in games, it's because it's an interactive game, not a story where you can not directly control the character

*Just an example, mostly because I haven't read "normal" book adaptions of video games for a long time.