View Single Post

JCF Member

G@vie is doing well so far

May 7, 2018, 02:13 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 probably came out in the worst time possible, when the 3D craze of PC gaming was at its peak. But the art, the cinematics, gameplay and multiplayer features were so damn perfect, that enough people gave it a proper chance. This game introduced me (and many others) to splitscreen online gaming, it opened a new world where you could play your favorite game, and actually make some friends (and improve English) along the way. I remember so well how exciting it was to create your own levels and tilesets, and share them with the world. It was a new way to share your creativity and level design. Extremely addictive. Also, this was one of the first games that had clans. I co-started UJP, which at its peak was pretty big, but probably wasn't as serious as it should have been. It didn't matter, we had so much fun, and the community was just great!
And while the game's story was simple, the characters, the world and the community were interesting enough to spawn fanfiction, fanart, and more. I absolutely loved it. So many hours spent, so many positive memories!

Happy 20th anniversary! And even after 20 years, I'm still hoping for a sequel, so that both old and new generations can enjoy some updated rabbits with guns! Now that 80's and 90's retro and indie gaming are all the hype, this seems like the perfect time. The GOG re-release is really cool, but as expected, some of Jazz's green hairs have turned grey after 20 years.