View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 16, 2011, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
My biggest gripe with the whole series are probably the EP4 ending levels because of how anti-climactic they are. The best option would be to ditch the War Torn set and make a new level with a less annoying tileset, but I don't know if you're motivated enough to do that.
ep4 does end on a bit of a meh note ("I finally reached the city! And it's just an easy boss fight!"). I'll have to think about this. The problem is part due to the fact that war torn is simply the best "destroyed city" tileset available. If I added anything (and it's a big if) it would probably be a level after that - right now you jump into a sewer and the episode ends. But the resistance base isn't just inside a hole... that sewer is just supposed to be the start of the path to it.

Quote:
Some changes in music choices might be in place, too. I've only recently realised how unfitting the Deserto music in devres02 is.
I'm open to changing music, but only if people give me specific suggestions. I'm conflicted about devres02 though. On one hand, the music is a bit too upbeat for the scene. On the other hand, it's deserto! At least the music is also used in 01.

Quote:
Fun observation: When I randomly get an itch to play some devres levels, I most often load Ep4 and play it till the finish. This might be because it's shorter and easier than the others, and thus more "accessible" than them. Which is funny because Ep4 is not as good as the rest!
Hmm. I don't think it's actually *that* much shorter than some of the others although it could be the shortest one (I never timed it). ep2 for example was basically one gigantic level, one large level, a normal sized level and a small level. The thing about ep4 is that the levels themselves are shorter, and it's the only episode with no gigantic levels. The difficulty is also a major factor, one of the reasons why I want to "tone down" some of the levels (ep5 especially).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
For the pits, I'd suggest that on easy difficulty they could just take one heart instead of killing you instantly. Just change the lines of Bees events you already have so they're on easy difficulty only, and then put a line of Warp events right over that with the same setting.
Excellent idea! I will have to do this. The boss levels in ep5 that have death pits will need to keep them though (technical reasons).