View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 16, 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far, I wasn't expecting to get this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I don't really like the idea, as it mainly sounds like making it all easier. I liked the current difficulty level, at least in Episode 5. Good to hear the "pointless" enemies will get removed though, it should work in the opposite way, making it harder.
I won't do anything drastic. In fact you probably won't notice most of the changes. In general the focus is towards removing "unfun" difficulty. For example, if there is a blind drop that can put you on top of an enemy (there are a number of these, especially in earlier episodes) this will get made hard mode-only. Another example is in ep5, in the level Tempest: there is a very difficult jump to make with the frog (some people have asked me if it's even possible)... this can be adjusted by moving a single tile, and again it is hard to notice. And finally, if you still don't like the changes, I'm not going to remove the original versions from j2o.

Quote:
At the very moment I remember only a bug in Devan's Fortress level, where flying inside the castle was possible when entering through that destruct scenery thingie next to the spikes shieldrun.
This one has always annoyed me. I often like to leave "helpful" bugs in, when they don't damage anything, but this one is pretty bad, I think. Thank you for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlaster View Post
Are you going to correct the "bugs" that let some players bypass hard areas?
Most of these, even though they are unintentional, are things I like. A good example is the 2nd one you mentioned - I've known about this even before I uploaded ep1, and I think it's a pretty clever shortcut for those who can discover it. The only one that bothers me is the infinite lives issue you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I suppose you will ignore this suggestion, but it would be nice if Devres 1 and 5 were Lori compatible. I know most of the parts she can't reach. Also, will we be able to skip the massive dialogue in the actual levels with textstrings at the start? I usually jjnext the dialogue levels with just text and no actual level. But in this case, I can't with that kind.
Lori is a bit of an issue yeah. Originally, the intention was to make the whole thing 1.23-only, so lori isn't given any thought at all. However, I do acknowledge that some people might want to play as her. I will look at levels which lori can't beat and try to address the issue. However, I won't make it so she can access all areas. If she can reach the exit, that's good enough. Anything more than that will be too much of a redesign. As for the cutscene issue, I'm thinking of making it so all cutscenes are in separate levels (most of them are already). This way, if you want to skip them you can just jjnxt with them. I think this is the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
The only thing that bugged me when I played through devres, that comes to mind at the moment, is one of the cutscenes had text like "Some people thought Jazz's war was overly genocidal", or something, which made me think they would have been fine if he was only a little genocidal?
It's been years, but if I remember, I wrote that whole thing at like 2 in the morning, and I might have been drunk too. It's not very well written. It even has spelling mistakes! It would be a bit of a pain in the ass to redo that since I'd need to remake the tileset, but it's something I'm strongly considering. Good to see I'm not the only person who thinks it's bad. I did have *something* in mind with that line though - basically the idea was that the empire wasn't exactly founded on what you would call "strong moral principles" and that line is supposed to convey that its supporters don't care all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
I suggest replacing most of the tube turtles in The Fortress of Floods with spike balls. "RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN" is great, "RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN (but dont forget to mash your fire key)" is not so great. It might also be a good idea to make the tubes faster.
Note that you can easily deal with most of the tube turtles if you use pepper spray. This aspect is a fair criticism though, and I do think the level too hard on normal mode. As for the tubes, they are about as fast as they can be. JJ2 has this bizarre quirk where horizontal speeds can be fast, but vertical speeds are capped (I dont know the exact number, but its around speed 20).