View Single Post

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 23, 2020, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpablo123 View Post
Now, I understand the post below is three years old, but still:

As someone who had to main a very underpowered Windows XP box (i'm talking 512MB RAM 933MHz underpowered) for a little more than 10 years, especially on Venezuela(g), I feel a little offended.

Sure, it ran Windows 7 with Aero (nvidia geforce fx 5200), but as explained from the specs above, not a really good idea. The latest Ubuntu version that supported NVIDIA-173 drivers for my graphics card was 14.04, and I liked performance on my games, so yeah, I had to improvise on XP during all those years. Like how Teeworlds 0.7's binary downloads didn't work on Windows XP so I compiled it from source myself.

Nowadays I have two laptops with Windows 7 and Windows 10 on them (I main the former), but I had to go through quite a lot while I was on that old rig.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but the fact remains that you are using an operating system, connected to the internet (I assume), which is not equipped to deal with the attack surface exposed by doing so. This is even more true now than when I wrote that previous post. Perhaps you have weighed the pros and the cons, and made sure there is no personal data at all on the PC, et cetera.

But from experience I feel it's safe to say that many other people who played JJ2 on XP, three years ago at least, had not carefully considered the disadvantages of doing so, and simply did so because 'it still works' or because they did not want to go through the hassle of upgrading or switching. That remains a bad idea, and if anyone reading this is still using XP for that reason, I again strongly urge them to upgrade.