View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 20, 2014, 09:59 AM
I moved my old cancelled tilesets here.

This is my first tileset that got cancelled for several reasons. First of all, my skills have improved so much since then that I would end up wanting to redraw everything, and at that point I should just start again. Second, the theme is so uninspiring I didn't know what EC stuff to add. Third, I limited the colours too much. Fourth, the theme is generic (there's lots of random coloured tilesets out there). Yes...the bottom things are clouds. I was terrible at clouds. I'm still not good at them, but not as bad anymore. I'm not interested in creating basic toony clouds. The flat-looking purple tile with an orange circle is the unfinished tube turning point.

My second tileset. What inspired me to start it was Violet's "challenge" of thinking no one could trump Natures Ruins (well, actually I don't think that tileset is that great). However, this is actually a remake of Natures Ruins and Mystic Isle put together, since they could work without feeling out of place (and for more versatility!).

Here's an experimental alternate pallette version, inspired from graphicsgale's automatic gradient creator. It's a stormy pallette.

However, there were many problems with this attempt. The consistency went off the hook. I was learning how to make tiles look better in the middle of creating this. I started from left to right. Tiling it also would've been a pain the way I drew the tiles. The sea looks decent, but the sheer amount of detail would've made it a huge pain to animate..and a mountain of animation frame tiles. I'm intending to follow a similar style to the V1 sand hill in V2, except it'll be made more with tiling in mind and the right side of the hill won't look like it's sticking out.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ