View Single Post

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

Jun 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
OpenJazz vs. OpenJazz2

There have been many mentions of an OpenJazz2 over the years, but they never seem to have resulted in anything actually being released. Given Neobeo's documentation of the JJ2 file formats, this is a little tragic.

So, anyway. I was toying around with having JJ2 tilesets and layer 4 tiles substituted into JJ1 levels in OpenJazz. Of course, unlike JJ1 levels, not all JJ2 levels are 256 by 64. I decided it would be easier to separate the code out and load JJ2 levels in their own right. The separation was actually quite straightforward to do, following the refactoring I'd already done to support bonus levels.

If you get the latest OpenJazz source from SVN (https://openjazz.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/openjazz), you'll find you can load up JJ2 (inc. TSF) levels and have a bit of a run around. There aren't any events, which rather limits what you can do, but it's better than the very first OpenJazz release was for JJ1 levels.

So, what do people think? Instead of trying to recode JJ2 from scratch, how about using the existing OpenJazz infrastructure to fully support JJ2 levels?