View Single Post

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 21, 2017, 05:38 AM
The Top Gun Contest!

Custom weapons have been possible to do in JJ2+ for quite some time now, and since then they've only been getting easier to implement and customize. Last week, custom weapons (and levels using them) have been one of the highlights of the Anniversary Bash, ranging from "nice" to "awesome". While it's cool to see this feature become more and more popular, I think a lot more could be done in this area, which is why I am announcing...

The Top Gun Contest!

Rules:

Must be uploaded to J2O before June 1st, UTC-12:00.
That's six weeks to make your own weapon! Great things have been scripted in much shorter time than that. Only entries uploaded to J2O before the deadline will be accepted.

Your weapon must be made specifically for this contest
There already exist custom weapons that could score very high in this competition. I want to see new stuff from everyone, however!

Your weapon must be made specifically by YOU
Of course, asking for advice and using resources (such as Sir Ementaler's standardized weapon library*, or sprites from other sources**) is welcome, but I will not be rewarding "idea guys" who make others do all the hard work.

Your weapon must be implemented in JJ2+'s AngelScript API
Ideas are cheap, execution is hard! You're free to start by writing down your concepts, drawing stuff, etc., but the final product must be a mutator (.mut) or a library (.asc) that can be run in JJ2+.

Your weapon must NOT be an upgrade of any existing JJ1/JJ2 weapon
I want to see creativity in this contest, not 4 different versions of TNT powerups.

Your weapon may be anything else, though
Got your own, completely original idea? Do you want to implement a weapon from another game? Do you want a universal weapon, or one that is useful only in a select few levels? Do you want to use custom sprites (drawn by you, or otherwise), or use the ones already provided by JJ2? Anything goes!

These rules are purposefully vague to inspire discussion and ideas sharing
Go forth and word-procreate upon this ‘forum’ upon which ‘men’ from the ‘internet’ may ‘talk’ to one another.

* - link to be provided later
** - this includes other games

Winning:

There will be a money prize
I have a (non-jokingly low) figure in mind, but I'm choosing to not announce it yet. The size and distribution of the prize(s) will depend on the quality and quantity of the weapons submitted to the contest.

There can be multiple entries per participant
But only one entry per participant is eligible to receive a/the prize.

There will be at least one judge other than I
To be revealed in time! Obviously participants cannot also be judges.

The judging criteria will be fully subjective, and dependant on the entries themselves
Just make a weapon you find fun. Then see if others find it fun. Then submit it and hope that I like it too. ;-)

Good luck & have fun!

Last edited by cooba; Apr 21, 2017 at 05:49 AM.