Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 9, 2013, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm sold! Some initial thoughts:
  • The framerate, and the turtles' movement in particular, looks a bit slow. Is this an artifact of running recording software?
  • The layer speeds look accurate, though it's harder to tell for non-standard resolutions. I notice layer 8 is also moving, which makes total sense, but is also some sort of statement about how you view emulation. Or just something you haven't cared enough to change yet, whichever.
  • I noticed an "Actors" count, which would appear to be the number of active objects, since it increases when you shoot a bullet and decreases when you collect a pickup or shoot an enemy. I also noticed that it's totally global and counts all the active objects anywhere in the level. Obviously this is a work in progress, but I might as well ask sooner rather than later: you know that's not how Single Player works?
  • "I haven't yet extracted the animation for [shooting while hanging] nor specified the ammo starting point." But they're in anims.j2a in the exact same place as Jazz's other animations, and internally specify their "ammo starting point" in the exact same way as Jazz's other animations. What's the problem here? Are you not reading the .j2a file?
  • What's with the weird converting .j2l and .j2t files into other formats thing? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone to be able to play them directly?
  • What are you basing your code on, physics and animation code in particular? Careful observations of JJ2 in action, or a disassembly of the executable, or what?