View Single Post
Soulweaver

JCF Member

Soulweaver is an asset to this forum

May 9, 2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the kind thoughts and feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
"I haven't yet extracted the animation for [shooting while hanging] nor specified the ammo starting point." But they're in anims.j2a in the exact same place as Jazz's other animations, and internally specify their "ammo starting point" in the exact same way as Jazz's other animations. What's the problem here? Are you not reading the .j2a file?
I am indeed not reading the .j2a file but instead specifying hard coded filenames coupled with fixed center points and FPSes from inside the code. That will probably change later, though, for both structural and legal reasons.

Quote:
The framerate, and the turtles' movement in particular, looks a bit slow. Is this an artifact of running recording software?
Some of the speed differences come indeed from recording software which both slows down drawing a bit and can only record at max. 30FPS itself. It might be that I have typed an incorrect FPS for the turtle walk animation as well.

Quote:
The layer speeds look accurate, though it's harder to tell for non-standard resolutions. I notice layer 8 is also moving, which makes total sense, but is also some sort of statement about how you view emulation. Or just something you haven't cared enough to change yet, whichever.
I can see what you mean; I didn't play around with JJ2 to notice this. Castle1.j2l seems to have non-zero speeds on layer 8 and I am just blindly using those At the same time it is a feature as you can define a speed to it just like any other layer (except sprite layer). A proper solution to this would probably be to ignore Layer 8 speeds at the conversion phase. The sky layer in Carrotus should not be moving in the video though, I'll need to double check that

Quote:
What's with the weird converting .j2l and .j2t files into other formats thing? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone to be able to play them directly?
That is also temporary at least to some degree. Not sure how it will be done later on, other than that players will not need to tinker around with command line tools later on

Quote:
I noticed an "Actors" count, which would appear to be the number of active objects, since it increases when you shoot a bullet and decreases when you collect a pickup or shoot an enemy. I also noticed that it's totally global and counts all the active objects anywhere in the level. Obviously this is a work in progress, but I might as well ask sooner rather than later: you know that's not how Single Player works?
I haven't done too much research on that; the only effect actors have when they are not in the field of vision is that they don't try to draw themselves off-screen. If there's anything crucial I need to know here, do tell

Quote:
What are you basing your code on, physics and animation code in particular? Careful observations of JJ2 in action, or a disassembly of the executable, or what?
Only personal observations. That means the physics might be off here and there.

Last edited by Soulweaver; May 9, 2013 at 03:50 PM.