View Single Post

JCF Member

MartiusR has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
JJ2 campaign - rather mediocre experience?

Funny thing, but somehow I feel that I've taken a look in more "reasonable" way on Jazz 2 content after playing in Jazz 1 (which I've played many years after Jazz 2). My first contact with Jazz 1 ended rather quickly, but with GOG release I had motivation to get back to it (especially with my GPD Win, where I could install both games and enjoy JJ and JJ2 on the go).

Basically - I feel that (freshly after playing and finishing "main single player content" in Jazz 1 and Jazz 2, I've repeated Jazz 2 campaign to refresh memory), that in Jazz 2 campaign is a bit... Bland? Rather mediocre? I know, that Jazz 1 has many things/sins like using the same "section" pattern 3 or 4 times in the level to "extend it" etc. But still - I had an impression, that every episode was very entertaining, very engaging and... Some of them quite hard. And this variety of enemies and graphic themes!

Sadly, I feel that I can't tell the same thing about Jazz 2. Not only that it's "taking again" many enemies or graphic themes from Jazz 1, but also because variety is limited, levels seems to be not so "intense"... . I have impression that in Jazz 2 there is much more "power" in additional features, such as level editor/custom levels and multiplayer mode. So basically all those things, which players are taking care of after finishing "pre-made" SP mode.

It's like Jazz Jackrabbit 2 could be named as well as "Jazz Jackrabbit Designer" or "Jazz Jackrabit Online" (I'm referring here to such games as Rayman Designer and Lode Runner Online, which IMO seems to have quite similar role in their series as Jazz 2).

Of course I don't want to go into conclusion, that Jazz 2 is overall mediocre game. Oh no, it's still great in my opinion! But SP campaign? Seems to have quite a lot of lacks, very noticeable for game from 90', when SP mode was for many games only mode (for other SP mode was a "main course" of the game).

Do you had some similar thoughts? Or maybe on the contrary?