View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

May 13, 2023, 04:21 PM
The most significant memory with the J2O community is the collaboration on GOG Patch 1 for Jazz 1 in 2020/2021.

In 2016/2017, I liked to lurk casual Jazz 1 streams on twitch. In 2017, GOG started selling the vanilla Jazz 1.3, i.e., the version with the near-impassable Orbitus 2. That skyrocketed the number of streamers on twitch who got stuck in Orbitus 2. Most people tried between 10 and 30 minutes to pass the bouncy section, then gave up in frustration.

I opened a ticket with GOG in 2017 to report the broken Orbitus, but I didn't have an account, and my only credentials were a link to my website with technical findings on Jazz 1. To GOG, I must have looked like some random fan. The support ticket never went anywhere. Twitch streamers continued to get stuck in Orbitus 2.

Then, in 2020, we started the serious attempt to make GOG Patch 1. Violet had already been GOG's business contact for Jazz 1 and Jazz 2, and conducted the politics. Love & Thunder coordinated, fixed airboard ditches, and prodded me to learn the J1E editor. rsgdbfevx plowed through the J2O archives to find the earlier attempts by Doubble Dutch. I played through the entire game several times just to make sure. After release, Violet posted the J2O news about the release.

The patch from this team is better than anything I could have made on my own. I thank the community for the collaboration, for the feedback, and for resolving everything with GOG. I think all of us all learned something new about Jazz 1 from each other.

-- Simon