View Single Post

JCF Member

WhiteBlaster has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2010, 02:40 AM
Hey, guys, calm down! Let's stop the civil war for just a minute, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
Earlier in this thread I suggested a modification to the proposed program, one which would even make it (very slightly) more personally challenging to code: have it only display alternate passwords for the level if you can first prove that you know one of them. That's still just as much of a challenge for WhiteBlaster to code, has the same basic purpose, and it completely gets rid of the possibility of breaking into other people's levels without their consent.
Well, UR, you must know that there's only one person that can offer me a challenge, and that's me. But even besides that, I dislike this solution simply because then if you've lost the password of your level you can't open it again (removing a feature...)

Quote:
he(?)
Yes, he.

Quote:
Finding stuff on the JCF is a lot more obscure than downloading a utility from the J2O list, I should think, and I will say again, lots of people shy away from the thought of even using a hex editor.
Quote:
Third, just because it's already possible, doesn't mean it's the easiest thing in the world, either to do or to find. And the very fact that it's somewhat difficult suggests that some people probably won't end up doing it. If it's made easier, then not improbably, more people would do it than would otherwise.
Who said that using my program is easier than using a HEX editor? Not at all. First, if you don't read the README file thoroughly the first thing you'll see will most probably be an error message. Not much encouraging for a beginning, huh? Second, anyone not very motivated would probably give up at the sight of the bunch of settings to give the program before running it (in the kind of interface I have in mind). Of course someone more motivated would probably make it in the end, but then it makes no difference: using a HEX editor is (trust me) easier and quicker.
Not mentioning the fact that I decide what to write in the download description, and this may have a considerable influence.
Anyway, if it isn't enough lamer-discouraging for you, you may suggest something else... The UI has to be (re)programmed from scratch, after all.

EDIT: Replying to the last point of what Torkell said, the source code will be released together with the program, and a half-decent documentation with it. There may be a problem anyway: very few understand Assembly... If it's a problem for you, I may post a more user-friendly description of the algorithm here, or I may include it in the source code. Anyway it's not a problem for me, just ask.

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
Unyielding, pure Ain Soph
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself
To find the primal breath

Behemoth - Transmigrating Beyond Realms ov Amenti

Last edited by WhiteBlaster; Aug 26, 2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: I was forgetting about Torkell...