View Single Post
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 12, 2018, 02:15 AM
I wish to not be selected as one of the winners, as I strongly believe others here are far more deserving than I to receive the rewards. I am replying to show my appreciation of the game.

The Genesis:

I received Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as a Christmas present in 1998. I remember being totally absorbed into the game's graphics, music and game-play, and I was always a huge fan of 2D side-scrollers.

Jazz 2 City Era - 1999:

After gaining internet access, I went to the official JJ2 site, and that brought me to Jazz 2 City. Steven Wakeman was one of the people in charge of that site, and I emailed levels to him under the name Opar. All of my levels there are ***, but I know those same levels would probably get 4 at most on J2O now.

My favorite level from Jazz 2 City was Bunnies vs Golfers by the Question. You can check it out in the J2C archives.

I never played JJ2 online during this period.

Universe Jazz Era:

After Jazz 2 City closed down, Alienator started his own JJ2 fansite named Universe Jazz. This was around the time I stopped doing things on the internet for a while.

Jazz 2 Online Era - 2001+ (2002+ for online play):

The very first time I played jj2 online was when I entered "iCeD's Server", which was a dedicated CTF server that hosted levels like Swingin' Jazz, Inner Evil, JAIL and Diamondus Warzone. I just walked around, since I didn't know that you had to constantly run in order to be a good player.

Monolith also hosted a dedicated battle server at the time named "Battle Server", which hosted lots of Splash, Spy AD and Monolith levels. One level in particular I remember is Unemotional Landscape.

BlurredD hosted servers like CtF BeAtDoWn, and he was working on levels like Forsaken and 60,000 feet under, and he was very proud of Security Breach when he finished it.

At the time, things like lag exceeding 1000ms and a smaller resolution etc made jj2 much more unbearable to play, but there were funny moments resulting from extreme lag and jj2's past bugs: Like when Blackraptor stomped my lag-clone to death in JmaN's hotel level, which should've taken all of my coins away, thus preventing me from buying valuable things at a shop, but I got a "black-screen-death" from dying on a carrot, which enabled me to keep my coins after death. I still remember Violet replying "Kill him again!" .

While I hated the rampant hotel domination of that era, I absolutely loved the game-play-centric hotels like Fooville, JmaN's hotel, Fireball's hotel, Violet's hotel and a hotel by Scizor CT and Lark.

Spotty and Black Ninja were making foo races and other associated products, which, for the most part, were fun. I wouldn't recommend that stuff for very serious people though.

EvilMike was working on his devres Single Player episodes, and I was one of his testers for The Rebirth of Evil. I found a crucial bug: I got a sugar rush as a frog, and used its tongue to smash a crate behind a door in Deserto Orbital Base, thus ruining the level's game-play.

I've enjoyed many duels and team games, but I'd rather not talk about those.

About a decade after I started playing jj2 online, people like Snooze hosted servers to show off their's and other people's works, and it was a great source of inspiration. There were ups and downs, plently of joke levels and generally lots of fun stuff.

Of course I have tons of other moments, but that's all for now.

Last edited by FireSworD; May 17, 2018 at 03:17 PM.