View Single Post
Madge

JCF Member

Madge has disabled reputation

Aug 1, 2020, 02:20 AM
Hey guys, just had to say, I'm thrilled at the prospect of a "definitive" Jazz Jackrabbit on GOG. At the moment I have no reason to buy the GOG release, but all missions fixed would be that reason.

If I understand correctly, the current plan is to release 1.3 with a patched Orbitus 2 and fixed airboard ditches. Sounds perfectly reasonable, and the bare minimum GOG needs to do anyhow. Their current release isn't in an acceptable state.

Otherwise, would it not be possible just to use the 1.0 engine, but tweaked so it plays all episodes? I appreciate that combing through code is not how anyone wants to spend their time though.

Edit: The Jazz Jackrabbit source code is not available, however I can say some things about it. It was written in Turbo Pascal. The EXE can can be correctly disassembled into Assembly. Which I have done using IDA Pro 6. Hacking the game via Assembly would be a difficulty rating of "Turbo and Then Some", but I suspect it's doable. From what I can tell, the main problem is the episode select screen. MENU.000 from 1.3 contains the needed graphics, which EXE version 1.0 does not handle correctly. Isolating the code for this one screen in 1.3 and replicating it in 1.0 would solve the major problem.

Edit Edit: I'm informed that Episodes A-C do not work correctly with 1.1 or 1.0's engine, so that rules out this avenue of attack. Although if anyone wants to try anyhow, I still think it's possible to get 1.0 to use 1.3's MENU.000, if you can track down the section of code. It's not easy with only Assembler instructions to work off.

Last edited by Madge; Aug 1, 2020 at 02:38 PM.