View Single Post

JCF Member

JazzGruff is an asset to this forumJazzGruff is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon God View Post
Here's a theoretical question from someone who has no idea how much work it would be...

But, what are the chances that this could be put into the Unreal 3 engine?

I was thinking, while playing Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 the other day, it'd be cool to be able to play this through the PS3's mod support on UT3.

I know it's probably an insane amount of work, but if it's in the realm of plausibility, I might look into learning what I'd need to know to make it possible.

-JG
Hello everyone! I'ma back!

Well, As a quick answer to your question, JG - Probably not.
Now, I'd like to, but here are the reasons why:

1. UE3 is kind of hard to work with, at least for me, and it might be just a bit too much. The engine is just kinda too heavy for a project like this, and I'd just end up having recreate pretty much everything, either by doing a horrible job at porting the code over to match the new engine, or just simply recreating things from ground up.
Not to say it's impossible, but unfortunately I'm just a human being, I'd need a funding for such project, even more so since I'm working on my own projects at the moment.

2. I don't have a PS3 to test it with. No, really, I don't have a PS3, I'd like to, though, but this is the main problem I have with modern console gamedev - I just don't own the damned things.

Actually probably the best way to see JJ3 on your PS3 would be getting a proper license for Unity3d and just recreate the game on that. It's a far more suitable engine for this, because UE3 is just way too different from it's previous versions, thus making it kind of a problem porting things over (But it might be possible with UE2... to some degree, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzHunterXYZ View Post
Hi, I'm new, first to introduce in this forum I wanted to congratulate JazzGruff for the great job he has done, congratulations.

Although I have a problem after you apply the patch to Jazz 3, I get an error: unfortunately I can not show you a screen because of the situation here on the forum I get the message that I must write at least 2 or more posts before you can send post with images.

As already said before, I introduce myself.
Hello, dear fans and players of Jazz JackRabbit 2, my name is Claudio Varone, I'm 13, I was born and raised in Naples, Italy.
Among my passions are anime and manga, video games and rock music.
Welcome to the forums, JazzHunter!

Hopefully I can help you with that problem there. Basically you just have to replace all of the old files with the new ones, did the game work for you before? And are you sure you're trying to open the game, not the editor? I'm asking, because the editor actually requires extra *.OCX files to work properly (In fact, you'd probably need to find a patched version of the original Unreal 1 editor, instead - that works perfectly, and it is recommended!).

Anyway guys, I was thinking the other day, I've been working on my own project and I've learned some new stuff while writing code in Javascript. I might actually continue working on this sometime soon!
I realised how much fun I had with this, and there are certain things I'd like to add to the patch. Don't get your hopes too high, though, I probably won't be able to finish the game completely, but I might try to create a new level or two.

I still think it's a better idea to just recreate the game on a different engine, and in fact, I might even do that in the future, if I end up having too much time on my hands (That engine would most probably be Unity3D), but for now, my focus might actually be porting this thing over to the newer version of Unreal Engine 1, which is something I started working on, but ultimately just ended up cancelling the whole thing altogether.

Last edited by JazzGruff; Aug 2, 2012 at 01:34 PM.