View Single Post
Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

Oct 14, 2006, 10:10 AM
UPDATE: The dedicated server project is looking really great. Much of the network protocol has been implemented at this point, but now it's coming down to design flaws in the original game.

Which brings us to the main discussion, a conflict of goals. One of the main goals of the project is full backward compatibility, and yet there must be change for these bugs to be fixed.

For example, should teamchat be fixed so that it only sends to players of the same team, or stick with the odd/even system in the original game? If the 'bug' is fixed, this implies changing the original features of the game, and might even cause confusion to players in the server unaware that the server is using a 'fixed teamchat' protocol.

Then there are also other problems like what the server sees differing from the clients', most important of these the Trigger Scenery event. I'm not sure if this is considered a feature rather than a bug, but I frequently get killed by ammo travelling through trigger sceneries which are masked on my clientside but unmasked on the serverside. Should 'features' like these remain on the dedicated server or should they be changed?

Well, there are probably more server-client problems, but this should do for a start. In general, the main concern is whether the server should retain properties of the original game, including bugs, or scrap all that into a completely new system. Where should the line be drawn?

Discuss.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>