Thread: Woot!
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2003, 04:08 AM
It will. I'm sort of stalling for time here ... I'm moving AGAIN in eight days, so this is kind of going to stop for a while. Sorry, guys

Jack started pacing as Firefox nodded reluctantly. "You don't kidnap someone like Jazz if you just want to play chess. Jack's right, Wizard. They want something."
"Is there nothing we can do?" Wizard demanded. Jack stopped pacing restlessly and turned to face him.
"Yes, as a matter of fact, there is. See if you can locate Jazz on Carrotus, will you?"
"Right," Wizard said. "I'm on it."
He turned and headed for the elevator. As he vanished from sight, the others arrived, and Jack and Firefox were obliged to tell them the bad news.
"This is a job for Intelligence, right," Headcheese said. Jack nodded. "So what the deuce are we doing assigned to it?"
"I asked that too. Copper didn't say anything other than that the Queen thought we were the best."
"Well, that's nice," Headcheese said sarcastically. Jack sighed.
"We can't do anything right now anyway. All we can do is wait."
"Who did it?" Lieutenant Indigo asked. Tawny fur streaked with soot from the recent battle, his blue-green eyes were intense. Behind him, Splitter looked up so fast that he smacked the back of his head against the wall. He grimaced and rubbed the back of his head, keeping his eyes on Jack.
"Who knows? Beats me. Copper had some suspicions, and so does the Queen, but they won't tell us."
"That's friendly," said Splitter. "Tell us to find someone, but don't telll us who?"
"Yeah, I know. Hey, she said she'd keep in touch." Jack shook his head. All of this was giving him a headache.
"She also said she'd get some help," Firefox reminded him. "Imagine what a mercenary could recruit? She could get us a whole army, Jack."
"She does know some interesting characters, you know," Wizard said, coming out again. "Jack, I can't locate Jazz anywhere. But," and he raised a warning hand, "that doesn't mean anything. They could have better technology."
"That could become problematic," Firefox mused. "What do you think, Wizard?"
"I think we already have a problem," Wizard responded. "I -"
Whatever else he had been about to say was lost and Jack's commlink activated with a loud beep. Jack scowled and rolled his eyes.
"Yah?"
"Jack, it's Copper. You'd better get over here. There's a complication."
"Where's 'here'?"
"Carrotus Castle. There's something you've got to know, but I can't tell you via commlink."
"Right. We'll be right over." He glanced at his group. "Something's come up. Let's head for the Castle."
"Right," Firefox echoed Jack. "Airboards?"
"They're our only choice, right?"
"Wrong," said a new voice. All of them wheeled around to face the newcomer.
A tall orange rabbit in a blue sweatshirt and jeans stood in the doorway. He nodded to them impartially.
"Holy crickets! Who the deuce are you?" Firefox demanded.
"Phish. I'm Acid's cousin ... I take it you know Acid?"
"We've met," Jack admitted cautiously.
"Right. Well, Copper contacted him ... he contacted me (which was sensible, seeing as I'm on this side of the planet and he's not) and I'm supposed to get in touch with you. I'll take you to Carrotus Castle."
"How convenient," Jack said dryly. "Thanks for the offer, Phish. I think I might take you up on that," he went on.
"Great," Phish said. "On the way, you can tell me what's going on."
"You don't know?"
"Well, Copper was kind of vague, wasn't she? Never told Acid much, so he couldn't tell me. And I'd like to know what all of this is about."
"Sure. Like you said, we'll tell you on the way."