View Single Post
Jersey Devil

JCF Member

Jersey Devil is doing well so far

Apr 6, 2001, 10:37 AM
It was a clear, cold and rainy night. The full moon shone through the tavern's door. Suddenly the shadow of a young rabbit warrior broke the perfect beam of light. A name floated above her head - 'Jersey Devil'.

This mysterious stranger bore a striking resemblance to the legendary Jazz Jackrabbit, although it was unlikely the two were related. She took a few steps into the tavern, showing a cool attitude that could very well have belonged to a demon. This purple rabbit seemed to be a real tomboy - a fact which was to become more obvious as she spent more time in the bar. Her fur was drenched, looking more like she'd been thrown in a river than out in the rain. She shivered, and shook herself dry.

The others in the pub stared - the girl was unfamiliar to nearly all of them. She glared at them, her red eyes glowing slightly as she did.

Jersey Devil put her gun into a holster in the middle of the strap on her backpack (it was one of those backpacks that has only one strap that goes across the wearer's torso), and took a few more steps toward the bar.

'She's here on a mission...', some of the bar's regulars thought to themselves, keeping a watchful eye on the young newcomer.

J.D. (as she was also known) clambered up onto a bar-stool.

"What'll it be, kid?", asked the bartender, raising one eyebrow,

"Just a cherry cola, please.", Jersey Devil requested politely.

The bartender handed over the carbonated beverage, and J.D. handed over her payment, plus a few red crystals as a tip.

"Thankyou, sir.", she smiled.

Those who hung around in the tavern a lot watched as Jersey Devil took a medium-sized gulp of cherry cola. She smiled;

"Ahh... Just like the stuff on Earth...", she murmured, before raising her voice and addressing the other rabbits in the bar,"Er... Hi.", she began, sounding more than a little nervous,"Th... This is m-my first time here...",

"Who are you, anyway?", piped up a slightly drunken sounding voice from somewhere in the crowded drinking establishment,

"Allow me to introduce myself.", J.D. began, starting to sound more confident,"My name is Jersey Devil. I became a fighter towards the end of The Great War On Planet WON. I had to leave on urgent business for a few weeks, and when I returned, the planet was gone!", the purple bunny paused for a moment to take a small swig of her drink,"I then decided to journey to planet Earth.",

"Why did you go there?", came the voice of a curious child, who had come to the bar with his parents,"Earth's a long, long, long way away from Carrotus!",

"Well, let me start by saying that my name means something. But I'm not from Jersey, nor am I a devil. I went to Earth to meet the person I was named after - an Earth video game hero called Jersey Devil. An *actual* devil he is, too!", the purple warrior explained,"He's purple, got red eyes... 'Course, that's his eyeballs - the rest of his eyes are just BLACK. Not like yours or mine at all, but that's not the point... And he has horns, wings and a pointy tail. His frightening looks didn't fool me, though - he's a real nice guy. After I met him, I went to live in England for a while, so I could try to figure out what happened to Planet WON. But now I'm back, and I'm here for two things.".

J.D. took a few gulps of cola, and then a few more, finishing the glass and wiping her mouth with the back of one hand,

"Would you like another, Miss Devil?", the bartender quizzed,

"No thanks, sir.", J.D. replied,"I think I'll pass...",

"Very well.", the large grey rabbit nodded,"So, what two things are you here for then, shortstuff?".

Jersey Devil hopped down from her stool;

"Does anyone here remember that rumour about the Carrotus Army?!", she boomed.

Several of the regulars looked puzzled, there had been many rumours about the Carrotus Army in recent years, and they didn't know which one Jersey Devil was referring to.

"You know!", J.D. enthused, trying to jog everybody's memory,"The rumour that they were undertaking a secret project. A project that would allow us rabbits to fight using a device called a 'Game Boy Color'! Remember?".

A sound of general agreement rose from the noisy crowd, many bunnies nodded, remembering all too well about the rumour J.D. spoke of, a rumour which was true, but - sadly - never came to be.

Jersey Devil removed her backpack, and rummaged around in it for a few seconds, retrieving a small purple device which had a screen & greyish-white buttons on it, and holding it above her head,"This is a games console from the Earth country Japan. It is extrememly powerful for something so small - it's called a 'Game Boy Advance'! These have just been made available there. I feel that there may be hope for us to fight using these!!".

Although it was only a suggestion, everybody agreed that it could be a good idea - and a lot of fun, too. If the Carrotus Army had any agents in the brewery, Jersey Devil hoped that they were listening.

J.D. put the Game Boy Advance back into her bag, and swung the nylon sack over her shoulder. She was beginning to feel more at ease with the crowd in the bar, now, and therefore ready to ask a question - the thing she'd really come here for...

She put her hand on the holster built-into her backpack strap, and grinned;

"Secondly, I came here with an important favour to ask. You see, a rabbit like me was born to be a warrior, but after what happened to Planet WON, I never had another chance to fight...", she stopped for a second and sighed,"Look at me - all I have are a few little marks from Local Area skirmishes & treasure hunts. I have no true battle scars!", J.D. cleared her throat before continuing,"Veterans of the War Tavern! I ask you one thing, and one thing only! WHERE CAN I GO TO FIGHT?!".

Jersey Devil was greeted by a dramatic silence. The purple bunny felt her heart pounding as she waited for someone - anyone - to give her an answer, so she could at last go forth and meet her destiny as the great rabbit warrior that she'd always wanted to be...