View Single Post
incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Mar 19, 2014, 03:22 PM
I'm happy to see already some people interested.

I forgot to mention the LMAT projects from this forum. I've seen sooo much goooood work unfinished. That's just a shame, but it could perfectly be used for this contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
A thing I like to say, it's not how often a tileset is used, but how you use it. Desolation is commonly used, but its versatility allows to create a lot of unique looking levels.

Of course, there are plenty of commonly used tilesets with levels that look the same, due to the creator not caring about how it'll stand out. Or the tileset has already been taken to its limits. Many test levelmakers don't give a shit about the eyecandy, so that's why 95% of top secret levels end up looking the same.

I think top secret doesn't look too bad, but it's nothing really impressive either. It's used a lot, because it's the least ugly tileset that's good for tests. I admit the 8x8 background sucks though. Ugly colour loss and doesn't work properly as textured. I consider that School V3 looks worse than top secret.

Not all tilesets are commonly used for the same reason. It comes down to ease of use, what it offers for the level and (ofc) how it looks. Mystic isles is fairly popular due to ease of use, yet looks mediocre.
In my opinion Top Secret is used so heavily mainly because it's extremely easy to use. And it's easy because mostly there are just some basic one-color shapes... And a lot of tilesets are hard to use for a reason too - because they present much more complex & beautiful graphics (like Agama's Egypt or Swamp). If someone choses a tileset just because it's easy to use... That means that he's not really trying.

Also, there are tons of tilesets that are good, but are TSF and for that reason they are not used, sometimes at all.

Quote:
Some decent looking tilesets are rarely used, due to being far too limited.
I don't think there is any law stopping anyone from modifying (in this case: extending em with the things that are needed for the level) the existing tilesets.

Quote:
Please, whenever you make a tileset, consider user friendliness, what else that could be done with it, the backgrounds, and what events fit with the theme. Slimeset may look decent but it's seriously lacking in a lot of things. You'd be taking to it to its limits the moment you use it adequately.
That's a good point, it surely needs to be taken into consideration when we are going to grade the categories #2 & #3.