View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 19, 2014, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescentembers View Post
I'm happy to see already some people interested.

I forgot to mention the LMAT projects from this forum. I've seen sooo much goooood work unfinished. That's just a shame, but it could perfectly be used for this contest.

In my opinion Top Secret is used so heavily mainly because it's extremely easy to use. And it's easy because mostly there are just some basic one-color shapes... And a lot of tilesets are hard to use for a reason too - because they present much more complex & beautiful graphics (like Agama's Egypt or Swamp). If someone choses a tileset just because it's easy to use... That means that he's not really trying.

Also, there are tons of tilesets that are good, but are TSF and for that reason they are not used, sometimes at all.

I don't think there is any law stopping anyone from modifying (in this case: extending em with the things that are needed for the level) the existing tilesets.
Yeah, top secret is used a lot because of ease of use too. Most of the time it's ever used, is in tests though. I can count the amount of times it's used otherwise.

Some may be more concerned about ease of use in tilesets, because they consider gameplay more important, and just want to get on with making it. That or they just hate using harder to use tilesets.

The majority of the active JJ2 community appears to be bad, or reluctant at pixel art. Also, they may be concerned about needing permission to edit existing tilesets.

LMAT appears to be a lot more dead these days since the dedicated tileset makers have moved onto something else, and the ameteurs had given up. I'll work back on it sometime.

The sheer majority of tilesets I've seen that are TSF have some kind of glaring flaw. Mostly because they either look mediocre, or are too limited (god knows why these ones are TSF). And besides, they could easily be converted these days. Not only that, 1.23 plus now supports loading TSF tilesets.

I worked more on my remake. Hopefully when it's finished it'll be just as good as the Agama tilesets (if not, better). I might post a preview of it sometime, and some of my old cancelled crap maybe (it may belong on another thread).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Mar 19, 2014 at 08:17 PM.