View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Apr 26, 2015, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
I'm trying to get this featured, and I'm not good at making multiplayer levels, so I need you people to give me advice.
If you're not good at making something, trying to get featured will be out of your reach. From my experience, those who play SP only/mostly have no idea how to make MP levels. If you want to become a good MP levelmaker, you have to play MP more often to understand what works, and what doesn't.

My main issues, is that there is no flow at all (full of places to bump into and many pinpoint areas) and it's full of huge deadends. I really don't get the pole sticking out of the ground. This level could really do with some one-ways and springs (especially at the flowers and areas sticking out from above), and a more simple layout. I'm not a fan of the X-keep blue spring either, as if you're trying to go up from the right, it's fairly easy to end up bumping into the ceiling. Also, this level is virtually unplayable to move around as Lori and hugely Spaz biased. It also seems like you don't know about RF climb. That allows you to access the RF and seek pu area from below. I actually don't mind RF climb areas, though if you can only access them as Spaz... bleh.

I'm also not a fan of seek pu secrets, as pretty much anyone who knows the level will win automatically. The seek and bouncer PU and the area topmost the RF PU and that area below the thin platform, also looks pretty campy.

I usually avoid making long cramped horizontal areas, as they are too safe or risky. There is no in-between for them because you either can't dodge what will come at you, and it protects against most incoming projectiles.

Also, ice in levels that contain pits is good. The best way to make players go to the pit area is to put the most rewarding pickups there. I apply the risk-reward theory to my levels. The risker the area, the greater the reward, and vice versa.

One of your primary goals when making a MP level, is that it should be relatively easy and quick to move around, with each path having a purpose. Were concentrating on killing players and escaping, not fighting with the layout. It's okay to have some open areas. To be honest, I think the layout should be started over.

There's also a big reason good MP levels don't contain hurt areas. It's that they can be used counter-intuitively to your advantage. Lets say you have strong projectiles coming towards to hit you, but you hop on the spikes instead because they do less damage. It's also an aspect of fighting with the level rather than players themselves.

I assume that maybe this level is meant to have more springs and some one-ways, but come on, they don't take long to add.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ