View Single Post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 21, 2015, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
Another suggestion is to create an operating system within JJ2, like create a Notepad-like text editor that JJ2 can open, and JJ2 can save/load files creates by the text editor. But outside programs can't see the files because they are encrypted on the hard drive by JJ2.
That's a very ambitious idea but I'm not convinced the majority of JJ2+ users would consider it useful. Since JJ2 is only meant to work on other operating systems, creating a system within it would always lead to having two operating systems active at the same time, possibly more if more JJ2 windows are open. For most users, this would consume a large percentage of RAM. Besides, I suspect that nearly every player has all or most of their HDD space assigned to their main operating system, meaning that they would need a huge rearrangement to create proper JJ2+ partitions, unless it were to use virtual disk space, but in this case it would likely lose support for processors that don't support virtualization, and those are still fairly common. Naturally you could also consider storing all files in a cloud instead, but we all know those aren't very reliable. Overall, I think losses are disproportionately greater than gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum
Also, a good idea for plus is to create a minus feature. Like in Pokémon Silver and Gold, where you can play maps from Pokémon Blue and Red. Except in minus, only important features are taken away. No Spaz/Lori, only Jazz. No multiplayer either.
I see your motivation but I think this feature would be better off as a separate project. If it were implemented in JJ2+, it could become unstable and users would begin to experience sign conflicts (mixed plus/minus JJ2 patch version). Besides, we can't be sure if JJ2 never performs operations on its patch version that assume it to be non-negative, for example square root. If JJ2 tried to compute a square root of JJ2-, it would result in a value of Not-a-Number, since JJ2 was written without complex numbers in mind. This could generate a wide range of bugs, from game-breaking to hard to detect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum
Also if the plus team feels like doing an extraordinary amount of work, one possibility is JJ2 to the power of an imaginary number. Like, instead of JJ2, it goes to JJ to the power of an imaginary number, for example JJ46, JJ98, JJ3.7. This would allow more random number generators in JJ2.
We added it to the list but I have to consult you on the details and suggested solutions. For one, when a real number is taken to an imaginary power, the result has an absolute value of 1. This isn't nearly enough to obtain versions such as JJ46 or JJ98, therefore I have to assume the JJ you had in mind is a complex number in the first place. In this case I have to ask what method you used to obtain not just real but also generally whole numbers as results. As JJ can also be represented as J squared, it would be useful if you could provide the formula used to obtain the value of J. Either way, we'll likely have to adjust a big portion of code for this change because, as I mentioned before, JJ2 isn't designed to work with complex numbers, so don't expect it in the very near future.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.