Thread: JCS Awards 2019
View Single Post

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 16, 2020, 03:02 PM
The results are in - thank you for your patience!

Best Battle Level of 2019

Umbral Thicket - PurpleJazz [4.5]
Isla De Muerta - Loon [4]
The Fingers of Icarus - cooba [3.75]

As per usual, the title bout for Best Battle Level tends to get rather heated, and typically ends up with a closely-spaced podium. This year was no exception, but ultimately there was a winner. Thank you very much for your votes! The three winning levels are all on the larger side and therefore well decked out for some party-sized fun. Props to Isla De Muerta for it's elegant layout and intricate visuals, and The Fingers of Icarus offers some enjoyable retro-inspired gameplay with a modern flair and some innovative design choices.

Best CTF Level of 2019

Galeloch Castle - PurpleJazz [6.75]
Faster-Than-Light Starship - Warren [3.5]
Tech Tree - Violet CLM [2.25]

JJnet level contest brought us another found of top-notch CTF levels, among a smattering of others released over the course of 2019. I feel truly moved to have another winning level, I cannot express my gratitude enough! Both Galeloch Castle and FTL Starship are available to play now on the JJnet Clan Ladder, and are well worth giving a go if you're interested in playing some CTF competitively. On a different flavor, Tech Tree is a spacious CTF with a unique layout and colorful gimmicks that's sure to be a favorite in JDC!

Best SP Release of 2019

Candy Goth - Violet CLM [6.75]
Pikitia Ara - Loon [4.25]
Tipplenborough - PT32 [1.75]

While as I no doubt suspect many of you, myself included are still eagerly awaiting the release of Ozymandius 2, Violet dropped Candy Goth in the meantime, keeping us held over for now. It has what might be the most esoteric theme in a JJ2 level yet, but manages to intrigue and delight with its creative pastel visuals and inventive gameplay set pieces. Pikitia Ara and Tipplenborough are more vanilla by comparison (custom enemies notwithstanding), but represent some of the finest traditional SP gameplay of the year, and offer some very memorable experiences in their own right. I feel like I should also give Faded story part 1 an honorable mention here; despite not making the top 3, it's an enjoyable experience and the ambition of making a full length episode is to be admired. All in all, a strong year for SP!

Best Level Script of 2019

Candy Goth - Violet CLM [6.5]
Frigid Fortress - PurpleJazz [6]
The Fingers of Icarus - cooba [3]

A close fought battle, but ultimately Violet's script wizardry shines brightest. Play Candy Goth if you're interested in seeing some of the wonderful things you can do with AngelScript! I'm happy to get the runner up spot; I sacrificed a ton of sleep (and drove myself slightly crazy!) in order to put together a solid boss fight to conclude Holiday Hare '18, and it's good to know that the hard work paid off! The Fingers of Icarus is a nice example of a scripted MP level, utilising it for a cool combination of visual and gameplay elements.

Best Eyecandy of 2019

Umbral Thicket - PurpleJazz [4.25]
- Seren [2.75]
Galeloch Castle - PurpleJazz [2.5]

The top 3 in this category all share something in common - they've broken the shackles of the 1.23 tileset limit! Perhaps bigger really is better? I cannot accept this award without first thanking Jess Trideka for drawing the background trees used in Umbral Thicket. Astolfo deserves a special mention for being the JJ2 community's best girl of 2019.

Best JCSer of 2019

Loon [9]
PurpleJazz [6.5]
Violet CLM [2.5]

I don't think anyone is really suprised to see Loon take the coveted Best JCSer award this year, considering how thoroughly deserving he is! Loon was an absolute workhorse in 2019, producing numerous top quality levels across the spectrum of gamemodes. Here's hoping he continues his hot streak into 2020; congratulations! I'm honored to claim the runner up prize this year. Well done to Violet for taking third place, showcasing his individual craft like no other.

Thank you to everyone who made levels in 2019, and may you continue to produce in 2020 and beyond! If you haven't opened up JCS or MLLE in a while or are new to the scene, perhaps make it your new decade resolution to get your feet wet! Whether you're a mad scientist looking to bestow your twisted creations upon the world, or just want to keep things tried-and-true, new levels of all kinds are welcomed with open arms!