Thread: Another find
View Single Post
Sun Fun Dude

JCF Member

Sun Fun Dude has disabled reputation

Nov 2, 2018, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
In 0.98k the episode images are 154x178. In the final game's .j2e files they're 304x354.

(source: looked at the actual images inside 0.98k's anims file; looked at the width and height fields in the .j2e headers.)
Looks like I was right B-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
That's the original picture, which JJ2 either upscales or downscales depending on the game's resolution.
I think you're kind of confused. Have you actually played this beta? Because if you put it in 640 by 480 the episode images are heavily pixelated. I don't think you actually know what you're talking about. Maybe you're confused because they were drawn for a 640x400 resolution and they are slightly being upscaled (only vertically, mind you) to 640x480. But that is not the 'original' picture that was drawn. As Violet said the originals were drawn at 154x178 for a 320 x 200 resolution, they were upscaled to 304x354 for 640 x 400 for the final game and clearly drawn over hence the presence of random pixely areas on all of them like the one I pointed out. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was uprezed from 320x200 to 640x480 midway through development, this is very apparent as many backgrounds and background elements are clearly drawn for this resolution and weirdly rest at the bottom of the screen at higher ones. Or things like the Damn tileset background weridly tiling at 640x480, yet fitting perfectly once at 320x200

Another comparison to the original and Nick's upscale, notice the top of the wheel where he's accidentally left it pixelated from upscaling the original. Also notice the one pixel dithering, if the game was up-scaling a smaller image there's no way it'd have perfect 1 pixel dithering.

Last edited by Sun Fun Dude; Nov 3, 2018 at 05:55 PM.