View Single Post
Ice M A N

JCF Member

Ice M A N is doing well so far

Apr 5, 2006, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
Here's an idea: What about something that could take a scaled screenshot of an entire level (or rather, all the layers where the X and Y speeds equaled 1) with perhaps all of the visible events? I know Neobeo practically made something like this already, but I think it would have its uses.
A few potential issues (at least with using this idea on J2O):
*neobeo (apparently?) didn't find where the X and Y speeds are (although it should be trivial to find that.. I just don't have JCS/JJ2 so it makes it difficult).. and it would also need to handle layers that tile, etc...
*once J2A edits start coming out, the visible events will change (we could do JCS-style labels, but it wouldn't really be useful in a scaled image...)... even using the standard anims would somewhat difficult, requireing prodding around in anims.j2a.. actually.. no.. we could just preprocess it and get the first frame of each event and just use those PNGs or whatever to composite the image..
*I'd guess it'd be amazingly slow in PHP (which begs the question does the J2O server allow for PHP to run an external C/whatever program somehow..?)
*Should we worry about CliffyB style hidden messages in levels (a la JJ1)
*What about retroactive appication to the current uploads (as fquist was talking about)

Of course I was planning on doing something like what you said anyway (a complete composite view of levels) once school is out (i.e. this summer) and perhaps starting a 2D game compatible with JJ2 files... an "OpenJazz2" if you will..

And then again, as you said, just having the uploader provide a preview image would be more practical...