View Single Post
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Jul 12, 2004, 02:28 PM
Chapter 8 : The Letter - Part 2 of 2.

With a yawn, I reached down to pull open one of my desk's drawers. Inside was my old side arm, "Jacob". Completely unusable by a normal person, at 23 pounds and nearly a foot in length. Yes, Jacob had slain many of my adversaries before, and it shall come to my aid again. I loaded up the fresh new case of Silver bullets and cocked the gun out of safety. It was gonna be a bumpy ride from this point on, but it'd give me a chance to get out of the office. I quickly gathered my things, threw on a black coat, my glasses, and headed out the door. With one last look at the hole I had been calling home for that last 2 years I walked down the creaky old staircase and out into the cloak of night.

It was a full moon out, and even a novice Hunter wouldn't make such a mistake of traveling. It was even complete with a thunder storm. I didn't care anymore. I walked down the gloomy, dimly lit streets of Down Town Hopteego towards the nearest bus stop. Most people gave me side ways glances as I passed through small crowds of people. I suppose it's to be expected. It's not everyday you see a Four foot Five rabbit. I took off my glasses and wiped them with the corner of my shirt. As I re adjusted them, I continued to walk through the town. Even Hopteego was showing the signs of war. Beggars as young as ten, people crowding around small fires, all of these things dotted the landscape. It seemed that the only profession that a person could live off of was a Death match player or military. Even such great families like the Earlongs and the Jackrabbits feel the impact of the wars. But with Eva's and Jazz's marriage they promised a golden age, and look where we are now. Carrotus is not in good times.

I finally came to the information desk at the bus stop. I went up to the counter and a rather sad looking orange rabbit was sitting there, reading the news paper. I leaned up against the desk and cleared my voice. He jumped and dropped the paper.
"E Evening Sir. What can I do for you?" He said with a shifty look.
"Hey, can I get a map of Greenthorpe and the wilderness between here and there. Also, bus schedules would be nice." I asked politely.
"Certainly sir." He quaked with timidness as he handed me the papers. "But no buses have run to Greenthorpe in ages. We can take you as far as Prestbury, but then you'll have to hoof it. Here are your maps sir." He continued.
"Thank you." I replied.

I checked the schedule. The next bus was to leave in about ten minutes. While I waited I decided I should clean myself up a bit. I looked into a mirror put up on the bus station and combed my blond hair up and re adjusted my glasses. I tucked my shirt into my dress pants and bent over to tie my shoes. After I felt sufficiently groomed I sat down next to an unconscious homeless rabbit and waited. When the bus finally I arrived, I climbed aboard, and deposited four gold coins. It would be a day’s ride to Prestbury, so I got comfortable and sleep came quickly.

"Status report!" A voice screamed in my ear. I leaped awake and looked around panicking. I nearly drew my gun out on a loaded bus, but quickly regained my senses. We were still traveling, and it was about two A.M. Outside the thunder storm grew and it was tormenting rain. It had been long since I used my transceiver, and I had nearly forgotten about it.
"All clear, no engaments yet. No targets seen." I mumbled irritated. I readjusted my seat a little, read the maps and committed them to memory, and dozed off.

The train came to a halt at Prestbury. After a long day's travel I thanked the driver and left him another two coins. At least Prestbury was faring better than most other towns of Carrotus, and at least it wasn't raining tonight. I continued to walk through the desolate streets of a war torn city, until I came to the office doors of the Prestbury branch of my organization, Schism. Inside there was an old purple rabbit wearing a hat, furiously working at the computer. I took one step inside and he immediately spoke.
"Hello Mr. Garand. We've got your package right there. And you appear to have forgotten that we enlist psychics."
"Uhh...uh thanks." I stuttered while picking up the parcel.
"A heavy crossbow with 10 bolts. Complete with a wince for pulling the string back. Though I doubt you'll need it much. Good luck." He continued without looking up from his monitor while filing papers with his mind. I opened the package and sure enough, I had a 20 pound cross bow in my lap. I attached the shoulder strap, and looped it around my body. I thanked the receptionist and hurried out the door.

I left the building and walked to the edge of town. A small house lying on the mouth of the wilderness separating Prestbury and Greenthorpe. I walked through the grass and leaped over a rotting wooden fence and into the dark forested area. I instantly felt apprehension. There were dark beings in this forest, I could practically feel them. Ghouls, and werewolves were in control of this wilderness, but it was the shortest route to Greenthorpe. I pulled out Jacob, and walked forward. My feelings were confirmed as I heard the familiar howling of wolves in the distance. Taking caution in every step, I readied my gun and inched my way through the forest. I came to a river and suddenly, I heard a twig snap. Before I knew it, the wolves had me surrounded. Hideous creatures with dog like faces but a humanoid body. Their skin was black and as hard as leather, but their minds were entirely feral.
"Back off. All of you freaks. These bullets are not meant for you." I hissed through my teeth. I aimed my handgun at one of them. It froze, in place and cocked its face at me. With a single pull of the trigger, a loud bang echoed through the forest. The wolf’s headless body sprayed black blood like a fountain as it fell limp on the ground. The others crawled up to their dead comrade and sniffed his body. I took the oppurtunity to rush ahead and put as much distance between me and them. I raced through the trees, panting, and hoping that they wouldn't catch up to me. Nobody can outrun a werewolves in full stride.

"Report." a voice over the comscever demanded.
"I'm being. Engaged. By hostile. Werewolves. Trying. To. Escape." I huffed.
"Do you require assistance?" The voice asked.
"Not yet." I gasped. I could hear the pads on their feet bounding across the forest in pursuit. Suddenly, I was flying. With a painful crack I came crashing down to the earth, lying in a pool of mud. I quickly turned over, my body exhausted. I aimed my gun up.